Duplicate files in "Volumes" folder?

Reaction score
Running OS X 10.6.4
2.53 GHz
4GB
500 GB HDD

I recently replaced my hard drive and restored the system through the Time Machine. It looks like I have a lot more space taken up on my new drive after I did the restore. After running Disk Inventory X, it looks like I have duplicate files in my "Volumes" folder. Are these supposed to be there, and can I delete them?

Attached is a snapshot of the Volumes folder.

Screen shot 2010-08-13 at 10.15.10 AM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
I don't see any duplicates, I can see a lot of Aliases in the Volumes folder and they don't take up any room.
The only non-alias in the Volumes folder is "Macintosh HD", but that is the exact same folder as when you access it from the Finder side-bar.
Finder Side-bar "Macintosh HD" = "Macintosh HD" in the Volumes folder.

OP
L
Reaction score
hmmm...interesting. When I used Disk Inventory X it shows two different physical locations for the same named files, however one is labled as being in "Volumes..." and the other is in my "Users" folders. The graphic indicates that the file physically resides in two different locations.

Screen shot 2010-08-13 at 8.53.12 PM.png

Screen shot 2010-08-13 at 8.54.26 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Very strange indeed,
Is your Disk Inventory the newest version that is available?

I'm a bit hesitant to tell you to delete the files that seem to be not in your users folder, but if you have a recent backup try it with a few files and see what happens.

C

chas_m

It sounds like you were using a backup tool that failed to find or mount the target drive and thus backed up to /Volumes.

In the second screenshot from Disk Inventory, expanding the name beyond "Volume" will likely reveal a hidden folder. If that's the case, you can almost certainly delete that folder safely.

OP
L
Reaction score
Does this help? I guess it does look like a duplicate. I have been backing up to Time Machine, and perhaps what Chas_M stated was correct.

Screen shot 2010-08-17 at 1.26.32 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, I looked at my /Volumes/ folder and the only thing it contains are Aliases (The ones with the black arrow on your system, mine are blue tags.).
content

I agree with Chas_m that you can delete that Macintosh folder, just don't remove the Aliases.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.