USB Wireless Adapter

Reaction score
Hi guys,

As a result of not being able to get a solution to my not working AirPort card, I've bought a Wireless-N USB Adapter, by Realtek.

Now, I've realised the mini-cd doesn't work with my Macbook Pro, and so after searching, I've been directed to the Ralink website to download the drivers for it, and now have the application installed, "WirelessUtility".

After installing, I've restarted, but my USB is still not 'lighting up' when I plug it in, and hasn't been recognised by my Mac. I've been searching all over the place, and I have a strong feeling there's a step I'm missing, but I can't find the solution anywhere.

If anyone can help me get the USB Adapter working, that would be great.

Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" C2D 8Gb, MBP I5, 2010 15" HD 4Gb, MacMini Server C2D, 4Gb Snow Leopard everywhere
Which OS are you running? I must be particularly thick at the moment, but I can't seem to find any Realtek drivers for 10.6 (10.4 and 10.5 yes...)

Of course, this doesn't mean 10.5 drivers wouldn't work with 10.6...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It may help to know the specs. on your computer in determining a solution.

Also...it's fairly agreed on...that most USB wireless networking adapters don't work so well on Mac's, aren't very reliable, and have weak signal strength if you finally get them to work...thus sticking with Airport is the best solution.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Never have got a Realtek nor Netgear USB adapter to work yet on G4, G5 and Mac Pro machines as Nick advises. Latest OS they appear compatible with is Tiger OS X.4. Also if you do a Google you will find the adapters often result in kernel panic attacks caused by hardware clashes.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Never have got a Realtek nor Netgear USB adapter to work yet on G4, G5 and Mac Pro machines as Nick advises. Latest OS they appear compatible with is Tiger OS X.4. Also if you do a Google you will find the adapters often result in kernel panic attacks caused by hardware clashes.

I wish these USB wireless network adapters did work...I'd be the first one in line to buy 5 of them!:)

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. I am running OS X 10.5.8 - It's a Macbook Pro 15" 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo - is there anything else I should tell you?

I realise what you are saying with USB dongles being unreliable with macs, but if you check out my other thread you'll see I have no real other option, because my AirPort card fries every time I restart the computer (has happened twice now). So even if the USB dongle is unreliable, just getting it to work would be great so I have some sort of wireless (even if it's not great).

This is the other thread - http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ai...y/194028-no-airport-card-installed-error.html

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I am currently using NewerTech® - MAXPower® Wireless USB 2.0 Stick Adapter with my Mac Pro and it seems to be working well so far. Only problem I have noticed is that for some reason my TiVo seems to stop sending files a bit more often than it did when everything was wired. Only once or twice have I had to disconnect/reconnect the device when the system woke from sleep.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for your responses. I've figured it out!

With copious amounts of searching, I eventually found a driver and an application that was suited to my USB Dongle. (The application is called Wireless Utility, found after searching for Realtek drivers) After restarting, and opening the network pane in System Preferences, it recognised a new Interface called Ethernet Adapter (en4).

Then I plugged in my USB and it lit up, and is responding, and all is good.

Stoked that I can finally have wireless on my Mac.

Cheers.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.