photos from iPhone 3Gs to iMac

Reaction score
My iPhone isn't my primary camera, so I only have a few dozen photos in it which I would like to transfer to my iMac. The iMac has hundreds of photos already and I don't want to synch the two systems because I don't want all those photos on my iPhone. Seems like it should be easy to get them off the iPhone, but I have hunted around for a solution and cannot find one. Any ideas? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 13.3" || iMac 20" 2.16 GHz C2D, 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, || 32GB i-Phone 4 || 32GB AT&T 3G iPad
Should be able to just sync your photos from your iPhone to iPhoto without syncing all the photos to your iPhone. Am I missing something?

OP
T
Reaction score
aircoustrie

In iTunes, the only option says "Sync Photos from <option>" where the options are Iphone Photos or a folder on the hard drive. I created a new and empty folder in the Pictures folder. Now, when I sync, since there is nothing in the empty folder, nothing gets added to the iPhone, which is good, but the sync is only one way - from the iMac to the iPhone and not the other way around.

The easiest and most logical way to do this would be to access the drive on the iPhone directly through the iMac OS and simply open the folder, copy the photos and be done with it. That's what I did when I had a Windows computer, but the Mac OS doesn't seem to allow direct access to the iPhone as a drive. Or, at least I don't know how. Anyone know how?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8GHz, 4GB RAM 15" MBP (Late 2008)
My favorite tool (and the only one I use to import my iPhone photos) is Image Capture which is included in the operating system. Just open up your Applications folder or search for it in Spotlight. It should automatically detect your device and all the images on it will show up in the main window. Image importing can be as simple as selecting the photos you want and dragging them onto your desktop.

The program is relatively easy to navigate, but feel free to ask if you have any questions about it!

OP
T
Reaction score
My favorite tool (and the only one I use to import my iPhone photos) is Image Capture which is included in the operating system. Just open up your Applications folder or search for it in Spotlight. It should automatically detect your device and all the images on it will show up in the main window. Image importing can be as simple as selecting the photos you want and dragging them onto your desktop.

The program is relatively easy to navigate, but feel free to ask if you have any questions about it!

Thanks - that did it!

Reaction score

wow! this application is really useful! i've been wanting to sync my photos to the computer for a long time and this was the solution. great application! thank you for sharing this cool application. i didn't know that it was included in the operating system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.