Thinking about switching to mac, would love some help

Reaction score
Thinking about switching to mac

Hello !

My name is John and I recently joined this forum since I'm seriously thinking about switching to a mac and have a lot of questions :)

Apologies in advance if I posted in the wrong section.

I work as a concept artist for the gaming industry, and I use Photoshop all of the time, you can see some of my art on my online portfolio here: John Wallin Liberto, on-line portfolio

I've always bought the latest hardware for my PC, and it's so difficult to keep up with all the new graphic cards and whatnot, it's got 4 SSD's in Raid 0, and all that, I won't go into PC details, after all, this is a MAC forum.

Whatever I buy for it, I get the feeling of chaos and I'm starting to get irritated by all the different logos on all my stuff, and even though it's a very good machine, it acts up on me now and then and I get to spend hours fixing it.

A week and a half ago, my 2nd child was born, and I guess that was the final reason for deciding that I do not have the time or patience to keep up with my PC issues. I also saw that there's a bunch of new macs coming, the new 12 core for example, as well as a beautiful 27" display, which I would have to get a 200 $ adapter to work on my PC

I work with very heavy photoshop files. My main tools in photoshop is of course, the brushes. After working as an illustrator for nearly 10 years this way, I've understood that the brushes in photoshop are very cpu hungry, as well as the files require fast drives and loooads of RAM.
Even though I use 3D sometimes, I work almost all the time in "2D"

I'm giving you all this info because I have a couple of questions about how photoshop works on Macs.

I go to mac stores but they all have "empty" macs and I can't do anything else but look around the desktop, clicking the calculator etc, so I don't know what Mac I should get for my needs, I know I need one though :p

Browsing on line, I only get information about how many seconds it takes to load up photoshop etc, and that information is useless if I'm going to have it open for 12 hours a day :p

Also, most reviewers test Photoshop on their machines by counting the seconds of some filter effect, and because I don't work with filters either, that's also not going to give any info :(

For high res images I need big brushes, so on my overclocked 4ghz PC, I get an OK flow when testing a 2500 pixel soft brush with 24% spacing. One thing I'm wondering is, how good huge brushes like that sprays paint on the canvas on a mac? What mac could do that, an iMac, even a macbook pro? or do I need a mac pro?

What happens if I don't buy the raid card for my mac, won't I be able to do a raid0 on my main drives and Raid1 on my safe work drive? Do you even do that on a mac? and if you do, Where do I order a specific Raid setup?
Also, if the LED cinemadisplays use a mini displayport, do I need two cards to be able to run two monitors, and is it impossible to get even 3 monitors running without getting this 200 buck adapter?

Atlona :: Products :: Converters & Scalers :: Converters with DisplayPort & Mini DisplayPort output :: Atlona (Dual Link) DVI to Mini DisplayPort Converter (USB-Powered)

Does anyone know of any video where I can truly see the performance in photoshop, using the tools I use, (Brush, transform, etc)

If you have an multicore mac pro, how many % of the cores are being used when doing a bunch of strokes with a big brush? Also, is the 64 bit issue on mac fixed, so one can use as much ram as needed in photoshop ? In other words, if you have 32gb of RAM, how much can you dedicate to photoshop in: edit/preferences/performance ?

Maybe you are a concept artist as well and know what the **** I'm talking about ? :p

Ok I will leave it at that, in short, I'd really want to switch to a Mac, have more time for my family, while enjoying at least 2 of those sleek monitors on a very powerful Photoshop machine :p

Tank you for reading!

John

C

chas_m

Apologies in advance if I posted in the wrong section.

Welcome John!

You most definitely have posted in the correct section.

I work as a concept artist for the gaming industry, and I use Photoshop all of the time, you can see some of my art on my online portfolio here: John Wallin Liberto, on-line portfolio

NICE work.

I'm giving you all this info because I have a couple of questions about how photoshop works on Macs.

I'm going to pause you right there for a second.

This is apparently not well known in the PC world, but Photoshop is a Mac native program that was (much) later ported over to PC. To this day, Apple customers make up 40% of their business -- and considering our alleged 5-10% marketshare, well, you do the math.

For high res images I need big brushes, so on my overclocked 4ghz PC, I get an OK flow when testing a 2500 pixel soft brush with 24% spacing. One thing I'm wondering is, how good huge brushes like that sprays paint on the canvas on a mac? What mac could do that, an iMac, even a macbook pro? or do I need a mac pro?

When Photoshop CS5 was being written, the chips in all of the iMac and (now) Mac Pros -- in addition to the video cards -- didn't even exist in production machines. IOW, you need a high-end iMac or any Mac Pro, and you'll want to splurge on lots of RAM (maybe post-purchase; Apple can sometimes be a little "gougey" on extra RAM at time of purchase, and RAM is very easy for any user to install on these machines.

CS5 depends heavily on the video card to accomplish effects like the one you mention above, so even a MacBook Pro could accomplish this with ease.

Does anyone know of any video where I can truly see the performance in photoshop, using the tools I use, (Brush, transform, etc)

Most corporate Apple stores -- and many high-end independent Apple Resellers -- will have a machine with Photoshop on it for such demos. Ask to speak to the graphic arts guru on your next visit.

Also, is the 64 bit issue on mac fixed, so one can use as much ram as needed in photoshop ? In other words, if you have 32gb of RAM, how much can you dedicate to photoshop in: edit/preferences/performance ?

It was never broken. CS5 can address all the RAM you can stuff in there.

OP
C
Reaction score
Chas_M,

Thanks for the quick reply!

Living in sweden it's hard to find a decent shop but I think I've found one where they have Photoshop installed, so I'm going there to do some tests :)

Thanks a lot!

John

Welcome John!

You most definitely have posted in the correct section.

NICE work.

I'm going to pause you right there for a second.

This is apparently not well known in the PC world, but Photoshop is a Mac native program that was (much) later ported over to PC. To this day, Apple customers make up 40% of their business -- and considering our alleged 5-10% marketshare, well, you do the math.

When Photoshop CS5 was being written, the chips in all of the iMac and (now) Mac Pros -- in addition to the video cards -- didn't even exist in production machines. IOW, you need a high-end iMac or any Mac Pro, and you'll want to splurge on lots of RAM (maybe post-purchase; Apple can sometimes be a little "gougey" on extra RAM at time of purchase, and RAM is very easy for any user to install on these machines.

CS5 depends heavily on the video card to accomplish effects like the one you mention above, so even a MacBook Pro could accomplish this with ease.

Most corporate Apple stores -- and many high-end independent Apple Resellers -- will have a machine with Photoshop on it for such demos. Ask to speak to the graphic arts guru on your next visit.

It was never broken. CS5 can address all the RAM you can stuff in there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I have a eight core MacPro at work, I'll do a test on some large brushes, but I have never encountered a lag with brushes, on the work Mac Pro or even on my little white Intel Macbook.

(just tested the brushes on my Macbook and they are fine, and this Macbook is only running 2 gig of RAM)

On the memory issue chas is right, CS4 can gobble up 4 gig of RAM for itself, the new 64 Bit CS5 can use as much RAM as it finds. It doesn't matter if you are running OSX with a 32 bit kernel or the 62 bit kernel, it handles memory totally differently to Windows. Rather than explain the detail read this....
AppleInsider | Road to Mac OS X Snow Leopard: 64-bits, Santa Rosa, and more

I dont know why you need an expensive converter when this cable should do
Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter - Apple Store (U.K.)

AS for number of monitors, an Imac will be limited to 2 (its own display and an external). A mac pro could easily run 3 monitors with 2 cards installed.

OP
C
Reaction score
I have a eight core MacPro at work, I'll do a test on some large brushes, but I have never encountered a lag with brushes, on the work Mac Pro or even on my little white Intel Macbook.

(just tested the brushes on my Macbook and they are fine, and this Macbook is only running 2 gig of RAM)

On the memory issue chas is right, CS4 can gobble up 4 gig of RAM for itself, the new 64 Bit CS5 can use as much RAM as it finds. It doesn't matter if you are running OSX with a 32 bit kernel or the 62 bit kernel, it handles memory totally differently to Windows. Rather than explain the detail read this....
AppleInsider | Road to Mac OS X Snow Leopard: 64-bits, Santa Rosa, and more

I dont know why you need an expensive converter when this cable should do
Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter - Apple Store (U.K.)

AS for number of monitors, an Imac will be limited to 2 (its own display and an external). A mac pro could easily run 3 monitors with 2 cards installed.

Thank you so much for checking the brushes, and for the links, I'll have a read :)

That cable, looks like the opposite way if I'm not wrong, that's if you want a DVI monitor to be connected to a mac with mindisplayports,

a minidisplayport -> DVI, what i would need for the PC to run cinemadisplays would be a DVI-> Mini Displayport adapter, or I'd have to switch to an ATI card that has minidisplayports already. That monitor looks so sweet :)

Anyway thank you so much for the help!

John

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.