Mac OS X can not save files larger than 4GB (Torrent Save)!!

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Thanks for the information shared in this lovely forum,

Here is the real problem that we (MAC OS X) users are facing now.

1- The MACINTOSH HD, is already formatted with Mac OS Extended (Journaled). BUT, I installed bit torrent and whenever I want to download a torrent file for movie or something bigger than 4GB it refused as discussed above. WHY?? In my opinion, Mac OS Extended (Journaled) is also not supporting files larger than 4G??

2- I thought to myself, why don't I install windows XP by boot camp, and solve this problem??, but Boot camp request you to format the partition for windows with FAT32 so you can read the files when you are in MAC system, but this does not solve the problem as we still can not install files larger than 4GB. !!

3- Even if we format the external HDs with NTFS, MAC OS X will only read them and won't save on them or amend them, So we still can not install torrent files larger than 4GB. !! (Remember FAT 32 can not read NTFS, this means that the installed version of windows by Boot camp (FAT32) can not see the external HD which is formatted as NTFS, also MAC can only read it but NOT amending or saving.

4- What is the best solution regarding the information I have posted above. Please note I am using MacBook Pro 13" with Mac OS X.

Apple allowed us to install windows versions on Mac Computer but they did not solve the problems of the large files, especially files are getting bigger day by day, and also I can not understand why Mac OS Extended (Journaled) can not also read and write and save files larger than 4GB???

Hope to hear from you soon guys

Have a nice day
:)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
OS X has no problem with files over 4GB. So your problem is something else entirely having to do with the torrents, not some inherent function of OS X.

Having Windows XP installed on a FAT32 partition has no effect on Windows ability to read and write to other NTFS partitions. This is a function of the OS not the format of the drive.

While BootCamp may initially set up a FAT32 partition, this can be changed to NTFS from the Windows installer once you begin the installation.

There is no problem of large files in OS X. I have had files of up to 32GB in size on my Mac. There are also a few ways to enable reading and writing to NTFS partitions from OS X.

Can't help with your torrent problem, as I have not found any movies that are legal to download of that size and I am one of the few remaining people that pay for the music and movies I want.

OP
B
Reaction score
thanks

OS X has no problem with files over 4GB. So your problem is something else entirely having to do with the torrents, not some inherent function of OS X.

Having Windows XP installed on a FAT32 partition has no effect on Windows ability to read and write to other NTFS partitions. This is a function of the OS not the format of the drive.

While BootCamp may initially set up a FAT32 partition, this can be changed to NTFS from the Windows installer once you begin the installation.

There is no problem of large files in OS X. I have had files of up to 32GB in size on my Mac.

Can't help with your torrent problem, as I have not found any movies that are legal to download of that size and I am one of the few remaining people that pay for the music and movies I want.

Thanks for your reply,

It seems you are an expert and hence I would like to ask you few more questions if you do not mind:

I wonder if Mac can still boot up if we make the boot camp format the windows partition with NTFS.!!

Can C:/ formatted as Fat32 see an external HD formatted with NTFS?? As I know so far you can not even see it.

I am not promoting for downloading large file, but I was wondering why BitTorrent on Mac refuses to save torrent file bigger than 4 GB

In case you know, what is the fastest Torrent Program on Mac, if you like to help regarding this of course...

thanks for your replies.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Like Bobtomay said, any movie torrent over 4GB is probably some pirated movie and that we can not discuss.

But.....

I have edited videos that friends have made that in real time were 25GB and saved them before converting them to a smaller size. OSX has NO 4GB Limit. That is FAT 32. I save files way over 4GB all the time in my work on other peoples videos. I have a feeling it's something to do with the torrent software you are using?

Which Torrent Application are you running? For the very little torrent downloading I do I use Vuse. Always worked for me but I never try and download videos like that.

Like Bobtomay said, when you make the bootcamp partition then the Windows installer starts, make the partition IN the Windows Formatter NTFS. BE SURE you do not pick the OSX partition!!! Some here on the forums have done that and killed their OSX!

Also 10.6 Snow Leopard will Write to NTFS. All you need is NTFS Mounter.

You can also do it at the terminal but I feel NTFS Mounter is easier.

10.6: Enable native NTFS read/write support - Mac OS X Hints

There is no need for NTFS or Windows though for files larger than 4GB. Something is wrong and I would almost bet it's that torrent app.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I also use Vuze for what little I use torrents. Gave up on BitTorrent after one day's trial about 3 years ago.

OP
B
Reaction score
Problem Solved Guys

Hello,

Thanks for the participation of everyone, the problem is solved. this was because the torrent agent (Bittorrent).

Mac OS X now can save large torrent file because of the fastestst torrent file I have ever used and you can find it and download it through this link:

Transmission

Thanks for posting the mounting NTFS mounter. I download it and check if it is working properly, so I can move my large files downloaded by torrent.

If the NTFS mounter (Mount NTFS volumes in Mac OS X easily with NTFS Mounter - OS X Daily) I will convert my 1 TB external HD into NTFS again as it will be accessible by both Windows and MAC.

Always the lost ring will be, using an external HD that work both with Windows and Mac and we are able then to read and write on it and transfer huge files as well.

If anyone knows what best program that makes Mac read and write on NTFS HD and transforms big files as well.

Thanks to all again :)

Have a nice Day

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.