question about syncing multiple devices

Reaction score
I've had an ipod for several years and sync it occasionally with itunes. I always read that you couldn't sync a single ipod with multiple computers, and you also couldn't syn multiple ipods with one computer.

Now that I have an iphone too I'm wondering if the same thing holds true- can you not sync an iphone on the same computer that you have an ipod sync'd? Or if you can, how do you keep them separate? My goal is to sync music on the ipod, and sync other things on the iphone.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I am currently syncing an iPhone 3GS and an iPad with the same Mac and it seems to work fine. Each shows in the Devices in iTunes and clicking the disclosure icon shows the device's contents. So far I have never had both devices plugged in for syncing at the same time so I am not sure if that would work but otherwise things seem OK.

If no one else does it before then I will double check and make sure my iPad has a different set of content from the iPhone. Up until now I have kept them the same by choice.

C

chas_m

I always read that you couldn't sync a single ipod with multiple computers

True.

and you also couldn't syn multiple ipods with one computer.

False and has always been false. Steve has even made direct mention in keynotes of syncing *unlimited* numbers of iPods iPhones and iPads with a single computer.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I currently sync an iPod Nano, 2 iPhones and an iPad with a single Mac.

The only hassle at this point is I don't want all the same apps on my iPhones and my iPad. To compound this issue is the fact that many apps now have two different versions, one for the iPhone/iPod and another for the iPad instead of having a single cross-app that works on both. And with most of these, there is no way to determine which is which when going through the list trying to sync. pitr

With an iPod and an iPhone, after the initial sync, I found using the manually manage option worked the best for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
I also sync multiple iDevices to a single library, but as has been mentioned, you can only sync one device at a time.

As far as the different versions, I have not had a problem with that. The "HD" (iPad only) apps will not sync to an iPod Touch or an iPhone, but the "unibin" or universal apps and iPhone apps will sync to the iPad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20' 2Ghz C2D, Macbook 13' 2.26 Ghz C2D, 2x iPhone 3gs (mine and the wife's), and some iPods.
I'm not sure about not being able to sync to multiple computers. I routinely sync on the MacBook and the iMac, however it is the same iTunes account on both.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I can sync my 2 iPods and my iPhone all at the same time. iTunes slows down but it works. You can sync iPods (at least the Classic ones, not sure about the touch) to multiple itunes Libraries on different machines if you manually manage the iPods vice Auto-Syncing. The iPhones, unfortunately, can only be synced to one library.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.