2nd time around

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, 3.4Ghz Core i7, 256GB ssd + 1TB hdd, 16GB memory, Radeon 6970m w/2GB
Switching back from PC...again! Just ordered the 15" MBP 2.66 core i7 with hi-res glossy screen. Also have a OCZ Vertex 2 240GB SSD on the way to replace the standard hd. And the PC is sold! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Congratulations! I'm sure that you will enjoy it. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
That's a nice Mac you are getting. It looks like your second time is going to be a nice one. ;)

OP
tommyxv
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks all. I do have one question because I think I may have ran into this problem before. I have a Maxtor One Touch 120GB portable USB storage drive. I backed up all my files on it. Will I be able to retrieve my files from it on the MBP? Its NTFS formatted.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Yes..Mac will read your NTFS drive..though, if you have the option/possibility you should re-format the external drive to FAT32 and then backup your files to it. That means that you can safely access the files (read and write) and other OS' as well..

In general, unless you KNOW you're ALWAYS going to use an external drive with only one machine or OS, it's always a safe bet to format it to FAT32..

Regards

OP
tommyxv
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok. I can re format to FAT32 and save the files again. Sounds like it is safer. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
alMB, 2.0C2D, 2GB, 500GB, SD, etc
Ok. I can re format to FAT32 and save the files again. Sounds like it is safer. Thanks!

Like Razor said, if possible/feasible, I'd format the drive as FAT32, just to be on the safe side. I've had success in the past with restoring backups from an NTFS-formatted drive, but as always, your mileage will vary ;D

Welcome back!

OP
tommyxv
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks!.... Looks like Win 7 will only let me format exFAT or NTFS. I read that exFAT is no good, so I may have to stay with NTFS. Once I get the files copied to the MBP, i was going to wipe the Maxtor drive and put it on eBay. I have a 500GB Seagate Free Agent GoFlex on the way, so I was just going to use that for now on.

I was thinking of maxing out the memory to 8GB while I will have the MBP open for the SSD upgrade.... 4GB to 8GB a waste for some light Photoshop, Illustrator, Dreamweaver use?? I know web browsing, email, and Office won;t see any benefit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
4GB is already ample for that, and with that i7 processor, you should already be flying, and even then, unlikely that you're utilising much of the existing RAM. With the SSD you will only be flying faster.
If money is no issue, go for it, but I doubt that you will notice any improvement unless you get into some heavy movie editing.

To format the drive, use Mac's disk utility, and choose ms-dos(FAT)

OP
tommyxv
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
4GB is already ample for that, and with that i7 processor, you should already be flying, and even then, unlikely that you're utilising much of the existing RAM. With the SSD you will only be flying faster.
If money is no issue, go for it, but I doubt that you will notice any improvement unless you get into some heavy movie editing.

To format the drive, use Mac's disk utility, and choose ms-dos(FAT)

I figured that with the memory upgrade. I'll save the $300 for when the 27" LED display comes out. :)

As far as formatting with the MBP, well...it wont get here until the 19th and the PC ships on Monday the 16th. As long as I can copy the files over to the MBP from the NTFS formatted drive, I should be fine.

OP
tommyxv
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The MBP arrived yesterday! Put the SSD in and it only took 18 mins to install snow leopard. It first said 35mins, but it dropped fast.

I had a Corsair P128 in the PC but this OCZ Vertex 2 blows it out of the water. I am so glad I got the Glossy Hi Res screen too. The text is not to small at all. Overall I am very satisfied with it and glad I switched back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.