Removing Old User Account Problem

Reaction score
Okay, I decided to remove my old user account. While it was doing that- System Preferences froze. This is on my MacBook running 10.6.4 (Snow Leopard).

Is it okay to end System Preferences (since Force Quit and Activity Monitor both say it is frozen and non-responsive).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
This has happened to me once to and I had to force quit it and nothing went wrong.
You may have to redelete the account if it still exsists

OP
C
Reaction score
Tried a second time and it froze yet again. Sent a detailed report to Apple.

Tried a third time. Froze. Arrrgh. :\

OP
C
Reaction score
Okay. After double checking that I transferred everything from my old user account to the new one, I decided in the end to just delete the home folder from the old account. I checked the Deleted User Account Folder and found two .dmg files totalling 50 GB per .dmg. I checked Macintosh HD free space- I was dropped down to around 10GB. So, I double checked, removed and now I have one user account now. Time to empty the trash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Ok, good if it worked that way. If not I would have had another way of doing it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeh, I was about to post this when I saw that you got rid of the user.

Do you have a good backup of your stuff? If you have try using the attached script to delete the user.
#1 Unzip the downloaded file
#2 Open terminal
#3 type in sudo -s hit the enter key
#4 Enter admin password
#5 Drag & drop the unzipped .command file into the terminal window and hit the enter key.
#6 Enter the old users short name exactly as if appears in the Users folder in the finder. Press enter
#7 It will spit out a bunch of errors, but the user should now be deleted and an .zip archive left in its place.

View attachment DeleteUser.command.zip

OP
C
Reaction score
Yeh, I was about to post this when I saw that you got rid of the user.

Do you have a good backup of your stuff? If you have try using the attached script to delete the user.
#1 Unzip the downloaded file
#2 Open terminal
#3 type in sudo -s hit the enter key
#4 Enter admin password
#5 Drag & drop the unzipped .command file into the terminal window and hit the enter key.
#6 Enter the old users short name exactly as if appears in the Users folder in the finder. Press enter
#7 It will spit out a bunch of errors, but the user should now be deleted and an .zip archive left in its place.

Ah. Well I'll keep this in mind then. In fact, I'll bookmark it for myself.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.