Backup iPhoto

Reaction score
Greetings,

My hard-disk is running low as I have tons of files with bout 27GB of photos that stored @ iPhoto. I tried to transfer the iPhoto Library to the eternal hard-drive (as back-up), so that I can delete some folders/ albums in the iPhoto (the notebook). But then whatever I edit/ delete/ add through the notebook, those files are effected with the 'new location' at the external hard-drive. It makes no difference whether I moved it to a new location or not.

I'm not sure what is going on, is there anyone can help me and solve my problem? I've been dealing with this for more than an album and I am going crazy soon~ lol~

Thanks alot guys~!!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
See if this article helps.

Regards.

OP
C
Reaction score
sad....

nope, it's still the same...... it doesn't shows whatever it shows on the website....

what can i do though... :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Do you specifically want to back the actual library up, or just the photo's within?
I back my photo's up by creating a pictures folder on my external, and then make individual folders in that for each "event" in iPhoto.
I then just drag the photo's en masse from the event into the relevant folder. That way they are backed up ready to be dragged back into iPhoto should I delete them in the meantime, but are not affected if I do delete them.

C

chas_m

Your iPhoto Library is already backed up, because you are already using Time Machine.

Because you ARE already using Time Machine ... RIGHT?

OP
C
Reaction score
Thank you guys for the replied~ however, I do have some questions/ problems with it, as I am pretty bad with software though :(

Kevriano: I used to 'see' those folders that you mentioned before (long time ago). But now when I tried to click into the "pictures" folder, I only saw the "program" instead of any other "folder", I guess maybe that's why I have this problem. I've tried to locate it from whatever location that I can find, but I just couldn't find anything..... <--- I hope you can get an idea of what am I talking bout, sorry for my poor English :)

chas_m: nope, I didn't use Time Machine~ I tried it once somewhere last year, but then I realized it took spaces from the hard-drive too.... therefore I never try to use it again....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Yes I get what you mean, but I never look in the pictures folder to locate them, it's a bit of a minefield in the way it's structured.
The way I do it is to have my photo's arranged by event or date in the iPhoto window, and then literally drag and drop the indiidual event from the window into a back up folder on the external.
If you'd like, I can try and sort some screen shots of what I mean if it's a method you want to try and are still a little unsure.

OP
C
Reaction score
Hi Kevriano~ thank you for the replied but I guess I might have to trouble you with the screen shots, as I don't really catch what ya trying to say....

I arranged all my pictures @ iPhoto very details, classified by country (folder) with sub-folder of places/ dates.... I tried to drag it from the iphoto window but still... :(

sigh... i am getting headache with it~ lol~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, give me a day or so and I'll sort something for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, as promised, and I hope it's straightforward.

Here you can see my iPhoto window, with the photo's arranged as events.

iPhotoGrab.jpg

Notice that there is one event highlighted (Eastbourne Air Show).

Here is a grab of my folder on my external HD.

HDGrab.jpg

As you can see there is a folder titled Eastbourne.

I simply drag the highlighted window from iPhoto over the corresponding folder on the HD, and the photo's are copied to that folder directly. This doesn't affect the iPhoto library data in the main iPhoto library, but does copy the photo's as they are.

OP
C
Reaction score
Hey Kevriano,

Thank you sooooooo much~ and I really appreciate it alot~ Thanks~!!!!

Sorry for late replied as I just came back from Mexico~!!! Thanks~!!!!

I saw 2 cute girls through the screen, are they your daughters? They are lovely~

Stay cool, and thanks again~!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One daughter, and her friend, and no worries. Glad it helped.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.