can i swap single g4 cpu with dual g4 cpu

Reaction score
hello. one of my macs is a g4 quicksilver tower with a single 800mhz chip. i have access to a dual g4 cpu setup and was wondering if its compatible, can i simply swap out the processor board from my single 800 with a processor board with dual 1ghz's?

ive found a article online thats shows how to do it and it looks extremely straight forward, plug and play if you will. i just wanted to ask you guys. its not important, its just for fun and play. i have the g4 quicksilver tower hooked up via dvi/ hdmi to my 46" lcd hdtv on the wall. the internet never looked so good. ha . i love it!

love this place and all my macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Depends.

There are two models of 1GHz DP, a Quicksilver and a Mirror Drive Door (MDD), Yes to the former no to the latter as they are a different system bus speed etc etc. Suggest you do not include your email on any posting in public forums.

Tomorrow anticipate 200+ emails!

OP
M
Reaction score
thanks for the heads up, i did delete it, but why on earth would anybody want to email me....

anyways, according to Single G4 to Dual G4 CPU Module Swap
they are claiming that the swap will worrk but will only be as fast as the slower BUS SPEED. if you put a dual G4 setup with 167 mhz bus speed in a 133mhz bus machine, its only gonna work at 133mhz, NOT 167mhz... if i read that correctly. but what do i know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Struth that is an old link and applies to converting a Sawtooth/Gigabit Ethernet machine from 400/450/500MHz to a 500MHz DP. Do not think the 167 bus speed would work at all and suggest looking for a 133 system bus speed DP CPU. This link may explain it all:-

http://www.macgurus.com/forums/showthread.php?p=112686

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
anyways, according to Single G4 to Dual G4 CPU Module Swap
they are claiming that the swap will worrk but will only be as fast as the slower BUS SPEED.

Stop talking & just do it!;) If the dual G4 cpu daughter-card fits...just plug it in & see if the computer operates & is stable. If it isn't stable...then the swap won't work...it if is stable...it works!:)

Cooling really isn't even an issue...cause most of these "cpu daughter cards" have their own heat sink strapped to them...and both computers you're talking about (single G4 & dual G4)...use the same case design & same cooling system...so over-heating isn't an issue either.

Just give it a try...it's not like your computer will explode or something.;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.