Upgrading Mac Pro Help!!!!!

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a quad core 2.26 ghz mac pro with 6gb of ram. I bought it about a year ago and had it configured with the basics. I use it for mostly video editing and graphic design but I recently picked up Starcraft 2 and wanted to play it. It runs smoothly except when a cutscene occurs. An error message comes up and says to drop the graphics settings. I have one card currently in my system which is NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512mb.

I have a little extra money to spend on ram and a new graphics card and I was wondering what some great cards were and where I can find ram and cards at a good price. Also would ram and a new card fix the problem?

oh, and what would currently be the best graphics card out there? I read somewhere that a new one was being released in August?

Thanx ahead of time for your posts!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
I get that message sometimes too. It doesn't necessary mean you need to upgrade your computer if the game plays smoothly. Blizzard is just recommending that you either lower the game's graphics settings or upgrade your computer for best performance. If you don't mind the occasional lag then there is no need to do anything. I just keep my settings the same when I get that message and see how it performs. Most of the time I only get an occasional lag but I think Blizzard is just being too proactive about telling us to lower our settings for best performance. Although if you are experience a lot of lag and slow performance then either upgrade or reduce the settings.

The only thing you should try upgrading is your graphics card because more RAM is not going to do you anything unless you are running other applications while playing SC2. You are already past the 4 gb RAM for best performance recommendation from Blizzard. A faster processor means getting a new computer so try the graphics card first.

There are only a few graphics cards made for Macs so it should be an easy Google search for them or try at Nvidia's and ATi's websites. I don't have experience with the newer graphics cards so I can't comment. Maybe someone else does...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.