Hardrive Issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
Hello all,

Ive recently purchased My 13" Macbook pro and I am enjoying the transition from a PC to Mac. Great and easy to use and im not regretting it!!

I have one issue however, and that is before i made the switch I purchased a WD 500GB to transfer my data from my old laptop to the Mac. The Hardrive works on the Mac, however when I want to add file to the drive it says that I can't because the hardrive "cannot be modified"

What exactly does this mean? how do I make the hardrive work so i can use it. Its the only frustrating thing with this laptop.

Your thoughts and advice would be well appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The drive is likely formated as NTFS, a Windows file system that the Mac can , by default, read but not write to you. You can buy apps that will allow your Mac to do so or you you can reformat the drive to FAT-32 so both your Mac and yoyur PC can read/write on it

If you are not going to use on your PC any longer your best bet is to just format it for the Mac. Open Disc Utility wihile the drive is plugged in (Applications > Utilities > Disc utility) and reformat the drive to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Remember, if you reformat the drive you will lose all the data on it so make sure you back up any data before you do so.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
ok ok thanks for that speedy response!!

Sorry but another Q how do I change it to FAT32?? it dos'nt seem to let me do it in the Disk Utility section. Is there a way to do this??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
You need to select the drive and under the erase tab Format it as MS-DOS(FAT).
Doing this will wipe the drive of any data though, so be careful if there is anything you want to keep on it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.