HP LaserJet Pro P1606DN compatible w/ Airport Express?

Reaction score
I am going to be purchasing a new Mac Pro and would like to be able to print wirelessly to a laser printer. I like the HP LaserJet Pro P1606DN, but it is not a wireless printer, per se.

I understand after speaking with an Apple representative that a non-wireless printer (assuming it has the right drivers) can be plugged directly into the Airport Express via USB, which will allow a Mac Pro with an Airport card installed to print to it wirelessly.

So, I have two questions:

1) Does the HP printer mentioned above have the proper drivers (or is otherwise compatible) to work with the Airport Express?

2) Will the configuration I mentioned above work, assuming the printer is compatible with Airport Express?

Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
According to the information on HP's site, that printer is supported in OS X. That would lead me to believe that drivers are included. HP is generally pretty good about drivers for OS X even on their older hardware.

You should be able to attach a USB cable to the AE USB port and print wireless.

However, I would advise that maybe you need to do some research yourself on this. Go to the HP support site, enter the printer info and look for information regarding system requirements and drivers. It's your $$$.

Regards.

Reaction score
yes this model is compatible with mac os

here is the methods how to install

The model number HP Officejet 4620.

Method 1:
You may refer to the below links and use the troubleshooters. Check if it lists and helps resolve any issues: Open the Printer troubleshooter:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...&lc=en&dlc=en&tmp_geoLoc=true&product=5191646

Method 2:
You may check if you have the latest drivers installed for the device. You may refer to the below link for getting the latest drivers and check.
HP LaserJet Pro P1606dn driver

Good Luck..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Six year old post. Probably long ago resolved but thanks anyway for your answer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
If the above suggestions don't work which I'm sure they will, you could try using handyPrint which worked well to create a wireless printer from a non-wi-fi printer.

The Sharing Mac needs to be running and acts like a wireless print server.

For more info:
handyPrint
http://www.netputing.com/applications/handyprint-v5/

PS: We were using the older 3.1.5 and free version and it worked well, but now we have a newer Canon wireless MF AIO that works well as a network printer/scanner.

- Patrick
==========

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Since we seem to insist on resurrecting an old thread here's something to consider if one is considering taking a wired printer and connecting it to an AirPort Express /Time Capsule:

As has been mentioned the general procedure is to connect the printer to the Mac via USB to install the driver. Once that's done the printer can be connected to the AirPort Express/Time Capsule. Keep in mind though that some features may not function properly. In my case the inkjet I was using at the time would never read ink levels when connected to the Time Capsule. It worked fine otherwise.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.