No Discernible Increase In Performance Post-Upgrade?

Reaction score
Hello All,

Just finished upgrading my Macbook 4,1 (early 2008) from 2G of RAM to 4G, and swapped out its hard drive as well, for a 320GB 7,200rpm HDD. Just finished installing a clean copy of Snow Leopard on it, and well...I really don't notice a difference in performance after said upgrades. What the heck could be going on here? I'd hate to think I just threw some money down the drain. ): . I'd appreciate any/all input from y'all. Thanks a bunch!

Oh, and here are the links to the products I purchased off of Amazon:

Amazon.com: Western Digital 320 GB Scorpio Black SATA 7200 RPM 16…

Amazon.com: Kingston Apple 4GB Kit (2x2GB Modules) 667MHz DDR2 SoDimm iMac and Macbook Memory…

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Welcome to Mac Forums.
What are you using your MacBook for, in other words, where are you expecting to see performance increases.
HD.... boot up time, read write performance.
RAM.... applications that actually utilise the RAM that you already have.
OS.... less space required for the OS on your HD, more compatibility with software, and the tweaks with Quicktime, etc. (too tired to think about it, but there are quite a few tweaks which make it a **** of a bargain).

In other words, if you didn't even need to upgrade, you wouldn't notice more than a minor speed increase in boot time and application start up, and a few minor tweaks, other than the compatibility which is the $US29.00 part of the parcel.

OP
B
Reaction score
Re:

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I like to think that I use my computer for a little bit of everything: some photo editing using PhotoShop, word processing, and video editing from time to time...so yes, I was expecting to see increases in all those areas you mentioned. I was specifically looking at boot-up time; had hoped the computer would start up faster...but the gray screen with the Apple logo seems like it stays there just as long (maybe even a few seconds longer) as it ever did :-\ .

Thanks again for the prompt reply 6string!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
As mentioned, if you're not utilising more RAM then you need, then you won't really see improvements in those apps, which I doubt you are from what you describe.
The boot up time, is going to be insignificant, not such an increase that you would notice it without a stopwatch with a 7200RPM HD as it would be with an SSD.
I don't know how you upgraded the OS (clean/erase install or just upgrade install), etc.
There are so many factors in which we see performance increase or not, to which you have not really given any information, so all I can do is speculate as to what should or should not be going on.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
To add to what "6string" mentioned...the purpose of upgrading the ram is:

- for single programs that need or require more ram than is currently installed
- allow you to open more programs simultaneously without a slowdown

Ram does not speed up a computer. To speed up a computer you need a faster processor.

As far as the hard drive upgrade. Yes in theory a 7200rpm hard drive will be faster than a 5400rpm drive...but in "real world" situations...that speed increase is really not that noticeable. Your computer may startup a little bit faster, and programs may load slightly quicker. But it's not like a night & day difference. And after the first 15-30 minutes of use (after the upgrades) you quickly get used to this slight speed increase.

If you want your laptop to startup quicker...when you're done using it put it to "sleep". It will startup MUCH faster when you "wake" it up.

So bottom line is...you probably didn't need the ram upgrade...and the upgrade to the 7200rpm 320gig hard drive probably won't speed things up much...but if you needed additional storage space, then the 320gigs will help.:)

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
I got a heads up from forum members about not expecting too much regarding upgrade of HDD from original 5400rpm to 7200rpm. If you don't put the two side by side you are not going to notice the difference. Not sure about startup time but applications does open faster and moving large files or disc access is faster. You will notice the difference the next time you install an application like Office.

OP
B
Reaction score
Re:

THANKS everyone! I guess I was just expecting a little too much. I'll keep all that in mind next time around. I really appreciate the input!
:Cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.