• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie drives me crazy?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mid 2010, 2.4 gHZ processor, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB hard drive.
I want to do things myself, and view a timeline...
Any freeware alternatives?
I don't really want to pay for FC, of any sort, but I'll pay if it's really, truly worth it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Which version of iMovie are you using? 09 is a very good program, and allows you to do an awful lot.

OP
amanda.a.p
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ummm...... I'm using the one that came on my month old MacBook pro... Believe that is 09?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Ok. Then read this brilliant article:

iMovie 09

All you need to know is there, it's very easy with a little practice/patience. Hope it helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
The only inexpensive one I know of is Norrkross Movie which is $39. It has a time line and you can download it to try it out.

These two links have a list of free editing software; 1, 2. I Googled it with free video editing software for "OS X" in case you want to look for more.

OP
amanda.a.p
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok. Then read this brilliant article:

iMovie 09

All you need to know is there, it's very easy with a little practice/patience. Hope it helps.

I know how to use it, to a VERY reasonable extent. It's already VERY easy. I want to be able to change things myself, iMovie won't let me customize anything, it tries to do things for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
The article Kevriano pointed to has some advanced tips that give you more control.

What exactly are you looking to do?

OP
amanda.a.p
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The article Kevriano pointed to has some advanced tips that give you more control.

What exactly are you looking to do?

I just want to be able to do what I could do when editing on my Windows OS in movie maker and Video Studio. I downloaded a trial of FCE, and that's working better for me, though I'm still getting used to the major interface differences.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It has been a long time since I've looked at either of those Windows apps. iMovie can do a lot including frame level controlled editing. But it is also missing a bunch of 'cool' features. For straight editing, it is a fast and simple tool with a some built in preset effects, transitions, and titling. It sounds like you are missing some of the extras. Learning more about iMovie may fill some of that in, unless you have fully done that of course.

C

chas_m

You're not going to find anything in the way of traditional timeline video editors that doesn't suck for less money than Final Cut Express, so just work with FCE.

OP
amanda.a.p
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're not going to find anything in the way of traditional timeline video editors that doesn't suck for less money than Final Cut Express, so just work with FCE.

Alright. Thanks for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.