dissapointed with new macbook pro

Reaction score
Hello guys,
I recently got a new MacBook Pro (13-inch) and although I really love Apple, I must say feel pretty dissapointed with it.
I previously owned a PowerBook G4, which I bought around 2004. The thing is I don't see where 6 years of improvement and innovation have gone. I mean, it obviously runs faster, especially heavy software like Adobe, battery lasts longer but no what I would expect. Other than that I don't feel like a true change has ocurred regarding Apple computers as it has happened with other products like iPod and iPhone.
i don't know if anybody feels the same way.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Bright LCD, and multi touch pad not enough for you? >_> As far as notebooks go they are pretty much all the same. Apple just makes it sleek and simple as possible in their design. To me that's where the innovation is.

Not exactly sure what you are expecting from Apple Notebooks...making your breakfast for you maybe?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
LOL
What is it that you were expecting?
Lets see, runs faster, especially heavy software like Adobe, battery lasts longer.
Also, backlit keyboard, better graphics, better display, compatibility with latest software, neater and smaller package.
This is all without having to think about it for any longer than the time it took me to read your post and type this.
Am I missing something!

Edit: That's right, the multi touch trackpad. I'm sure there's more, but making your breakfast for you would be a great selling point, as too would house keeping, massages and cash dispensers :)

OP
Z
Reaction score
I am aware of all those new features and I really like them but I am just saying that 6 years is a lot of time, and I feel that it hasn't been reflected on the amount of innovation of the computer.
For example, look at the crappy Nokia and Sony-Ericcson cellphones of 2004 and now look at the iPhone 4, that is the type of change in technology that I would expect.
In 6 years time I am hoping that the new MacBook Pro can do a lot more that better graphics, better display and compatibility with more and more software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
Aluminum unibody, so when you rest your palm on the notebook the freak'n plastic don't make creaking noises, especially after 6 months of usage. I've went through 4 PC notebooks that did the same thing no matter how good it looks or feel initially on display. Thank you Apple for doing the extra R&D. The new battery, making the MBP less than an inch thin. May not be much, but that's impressive considering all the components and features that goes into the notebook and be totally functional. Improvements can be the way of less is more especially in the notebook portability sense. Perhaps it's the OP that's not doing much with what is given in the notebook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
Were you expecting it to walk the dog for you or something? ;) I don't think there is much more you can evolve with a computer. The current computers do pretty much what we ask of them and if everything is working most people only upgrade because they want faster performance or a software requires a higher minimum specifications.

In a way it's like cars. They really haven't changed all that much from when I grew up. The car I had 20 years ago isn't that much different from now. There are a lot refinements a few new additions but the basic overall technology is pretty much the same. The only reason why there is newer tech such as hybrids and electric cars is because there is a growing need for alternative fuel cars.

This is the same with computers. Most of us use our computers the same way we did several years ago so unless you really want your computer to walk your dog then there really isn't much to innovate. The iPhone is in a different category because smart phones are still relatively new so there are still things to innovate and improve upon. You can't compare apples to oranges if you are familiar with that expression. Apple can definitely evolve computers by making them transform into robots but that's not when we want computers for. It's the same with lots of other electronics. Just look at printers. What more do you want them to do but print faster, larger, and with finer details? Not much innovation that can be done.

I also have a PowerBook too and my MacBook Pro is quieter, has a more solid unibody built, the LED screen is much brighter and nicer to look at and won't fade over time like older LCD technology. The trackpad gestures alone was worth it for me since I can pretty much do every commonly used shortcut I use daily all on the trackpad without reaching for the keyboard or mouse. The glass trackpad is also smoother to use than my PowerBook's metal trackpad. The battery life per charge is 3 times as long as my old PowerBook. I thought those were great changes but I still mainly upgrade my computer because I need the faster performance rather than some revolutionary change in computer technology.

Although if all you care about was innovation and change then you might want to look at an iPad. Is that different enough for you? For some people that's their laptop replacement so I guess Apple did innovate and created a new type of "laptop". Some people believe that's the evolution of the laptop for some people. You just bought the wrong device. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" Ultimate (2010)
I would be delighted to hear about zukermaister's expectations, since he got so disappointed with the new MBP... coming from a PB which doesn't even show YouTube properly. Is it the lack of blu-ray support? The lack of TRIM? Or maybe the lack of matte option for the 13" display?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo :: 13.3" MacBook 2.2Ghz Core 2 Duo
I know where you are coming from Zukermaister, when you see all the inovation that has been happening in the phone world, where is it in the computer world? The thing is, it isn't just Apple. All laptop manufactures are pushing out faster, slicker, laptops, however nothing hugely revolutionary.

But the question is; what can you add/change to a laptop? Apple really have been pushing the design and functionality of the laptop with all the features mentioned above, every other company is placing catch up to them...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am aware of all those new features and I really like them but I am just saying that 6 years is a lot of time, and I feel that it hasn't been reflected on the amount of innovation of the computer.
For example, look at the crappy Nokia and Sony-Ericcson cellphones of 2004 and now look at the iPhone 4, that is the type of change in technology that I would expect.
In 6 years time I am hoping that the new MacBook Pro can do a lot more that better graphics, better display and compatibility with more and more software.

Stop comparing the improvements in Apple laptops to the improvements in cell phones...they're not the same product!

If you want to make a comparison...compare the improvements in Windows laptops since 2004...and the improvements in Apple laptops since 2004. I think that you'll find that Apple laptops (for them most part) have kept pace with the improvements in "Windows" laptops.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I'd love to hear what you think the laptop should be doing that it doesn't?

This is the first time I've ever seen anyone claim Apple's notebook design has been stagnant for 6 years. :\

Reaction score
I'm new to Apple also, but just take this into consideration. In the last 6 years what major breakthrough has occurred in the pc field? Other than the multi core cpu's nothing has really happened. I was just laid off from HP, and as a parting finger I bought a macbook pro (15") as a present for myself. I couldn't be more pleased. I'm a DBA and I love how I can back up the entire disk to an image, wipe the disk, and restore the image. I think that's so cool! And I worked on unix, and linux servers, so under the gui, I'm very familiar with the o/s.

OP
Z
Reaction score
It goes to show you how good and advanced your G4 really was...

Exactly, the first time I used my G4 I was impressed, I tought it was a huge step forward from what I had seen before.

Anyway, I was just expressing my opinion, didn't mean to upset anyone. I just think there is a whole lot more in laptop technology to develop. And you are right, probably the iPad is the next step.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Not a matter of upsetting anyone..but you say there is room of improvement and you were expecting more and so on..well provide details as to what these developments specifically should/would/could be?

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Exactly, the first time I used my G4 I was impressed, I tought it was a huge step forward from what I had seen before.

Anyway, I was just expressing my opinion, didn't mean to upset anyone. I just think there is a whole lot more in laptop technology to develop. And you are right, probably the iPad is the next step.

But you still haven't answered what you were expecting to see? I don't think you've upset anyone so no worries there.

I'm just more curious on what you think should be different?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here are the things that the OP does not seem to realize have improved in laptops since 2004:

- much much faster cpus
- multi-processor cpu's
- much much much better video hardware
- much higher max levels of ram
- much higher resolution displays
- multi-finger gesturing trackpads
- much faster hard drives (greatly decreasing application load times)
- built-in web cameras
- realistic support for external display's
- backlit keyboards (very nice in dark rooms)
- longer battery life
- weight reductions

The bottom line is...not many people in 2004 would have considered their laptops to be "desktop replacements"! But today in 2010...laptop/notebook computers are very very capable...and easily can be a desktop replacement.

On another note (to the OP)...how much do you think desktop computers (Macintosh or Windows) have evolved since 2004??? In my humble opinion...laptops have "evolved" much much more than desktop computers.

- Nick

OP
Z
Reaction score
Not a matter of upsetting anyone..but you say there is room of improvement and you were expecting more and so on..well provide details as to what these developments specifically should/would/could be?

Regards

I am no engineer but just as day-to-day user I would like to see Blu-Ray- support. I'd love to see some kind of wireless charging, which is actually possible in other devices. Maybe some sort of touch screen (similar to the iPad but still having the capacity of a laptop)
This are just some of my ideas but I'm sure there are hundreds of improvments you can make.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am no engineer but just as day-to-day user I would like to see Blu-Ray- support. I'd love to see some kind of wireless charging, which is actually possible in other devices. Maybe some sort of touch screen (similar to the iPad but still having the capacity of a laptop)
This are just some of my ideas but I'm sure there are hundreds of improvments you can make.

Yes these could be some interesting technologies to incorporate into Apple laptops...but then if they were incorporated...would consumers be willing to pay extra for them??;)

I think again...you state that you're disappointed with your new MacBook Pro...but didn't you:

- research this purchase before buying
- visit your local Apple Store & "play" with the new laptops
- speak with Apple employees

Doing any or all of these activities would have certainly got you "up to speed" on the features & abilities of Apple laptops...and if these features & abilities did not impress you compared to laptops from 2004...why did you go ahead and purchase a new MacBook Pro??

- Nick

OP
Z
Reaction score
Well, it is really not important if I am dissappointed or not. I mean, I need a MacBook Pro whether I like it or not, its mandatory in my school and I also need to run my business. But don't get me worng, I love Apple, I was just expecting a little bit more from a company that has really innovated.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, it is really not important if I am dissappointed or not. I mean, I need a MacBook Pro whether I like it or not, its mandatory in my school and I also need to run my business. But don't get me worng, I love Apple, I was just expecting a little bit more from a company that has really innovated.

Ok...fair enough.:)

The bottom line is...Apple laptops pretty much incorporate most cutting edge technologies...and in many cases...Apple laptops actually lead the industry with the features they provide. Apple laptops from a features & abilities standpoint compare favorably with their Windows laptop counterparts...so there really isn't a "technology gap" between Windows & Apple laptops.

Using the comparison of how much cellphones have improved since 2004 (compared to laptop computers in the same timeframe)...really isn't fair, since they're different devices...and 2004 cellphones had MUCH more "growing room" than laptop computers.

Laptop computers simply may be a "mature technology"...with not a lot of room to grow...and maybe mobile computing devices will be heading in a different direction in the years to come. Something like the iPad, brain implants, special computing eyeglasses, a bluetooth like device that somehow generates a "HUD" (heads up display) that only the user can see...where you navigate by moving a curser with your eyes, and selecting things by blinking your eye.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.