Timing application use

Reaction score
Hello, forum.

Not certain if this is the proper place for my question, but I'll ask anyway :)

I would like to block my usage to a particular application - or block internet to this application (Terminal) - but only during certain times. Is there a way to do this?

Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
It would be nice if you could give us the reason why you want this because it would change the advice. I going to assume you are trying to block someone else from doing something on your computer without your supervision.

There might be a dedicated third party application that will do exact what you are asking but you can do something similar with the build in parental controls on your Mac. You first need to create another user account in your system preferences and then open up the parental account settings.

After that in the time limits section you can give a range of time to limit someone but it only limits the whole computer and doesn't do time limits for each application. You can however set what applications a person can use in that user account so just don't allow access to the applications you don't want them to access.

When you want to allow access to those applications then create another user account that has access to the blocks applications and password protect it so you can only login when it's time. Of course this all assuming you are trying to block someone else like a child from using certain applications.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.