Web browsing security (relates to malware), USB thumbdrive, and freeware questions

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I got a Mac recently, and so far so good. Still trying to get a grip on everything, but I'm hoping for the best.

I've been looking at this forum for the past few days and have learned more and more each time. Thank you for the nice community. :)

Now before I get pelted with eggs by asking my first question, let me assure you I've read up on this as much as I could here. The antivirus and sage advice topics proved very informative, but I'm still wondering about something.

1. I understand that there is no virus for Mac OS X currently. It's also my understanding that the only way to get the one or two trojans out there is if you specifically install them. However, there were more threats than just viruses and trojans for Windows, which I've used basically all my life until now. There are keyloggers, browser hijacks, worms, botnets, etc for windows. On a Mac, so long as I don't download and install software from untrustworthy sources, can I go to any website I want without having to worry? Can keyloggers, browser hijacks, and botnets get on your Mac just by going to a webpage?

2. I want to get a USB thumbdrive, but I'm not sure which kind to get. I've heard that some have a high fail rate, but at the same time I see USB thumbdrives used by lots of people. What should I look for when buying a USB thumbdrive, and is there a specific kind you would recommend? I'm looking at thumbdrives between 2-8 gigabytes, because anything else seems expensive and not really necessary.

3. I am of the opinion that there is some really great freeware software out there, such as Open Office and Onyx. I've used them both and really like them. Is there any other freeware software for the Mac that you recommend? I really like to write and create stuff, so if you have any recommendations along those lines or any other kind of good freeware for the Mac, please let me know!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
#1 Yes, if you don't go to bad sites and install pirated stuff you will be safe. And even if something got on your machine, it will need your permission (Password) to install itself in a position to do any harm.
#2 I would stick with the SanDisk brand, have had a lot of SD cards from them and I haven't had one fail on me yet.
#3 HandBrake a video format converter HandBrake & Bean http://www.bean-osx.com/Bean.html

And welcome to M-F!

C

chas_m

1. I understand that there is no virus for Mac OS X currently.

It's extremely unlikely that there will ever be a virus (in the strict Windows sense of the term) for OS X.

On a Mac, so long as I don't download and install software from untrustworthy sources, can I go to any website I want without having to worry?

Yes.

Can keyloggers, browser hijacks, and botnets get on your Mac just by going to a webpage?

No.

2. I want to get a USB thumbdrive, but I'm not sure which kind to get. I've heard that some have a high fail rate

The reason USB drives have a high fail rate is MOSTLY because people can be awfully dumb in using them. On both a Mac and a PC, it's important to be STATIC-FREE, and also to PROPERLY EJECT any removable drive (including USB drives) in the recommended safe manner. An awful lot of people don't do this (just jerking the drive out of the slot) and often they "get away with it," but sooner or later the inevitable happens.

3. I am of the opinion that there is some really great freeware software out there, such as Open Office and Onyx.

"Great" has different meanings. OpenOffice is "great" in the sense that it replicates a lot of Office's core functionality for free, but it's not great in the sense of the standard of Macintosh software and UI. But yeah, there's a lot of great free software out there -- and a lot of hellafabulous, Mac-only, reasonably-priced shareware out there as well. Don't be afraid to pay for great software -- that's how we get more great software!

Free is nice, but it should never be the primary consideration.

Is there any other freeware software for the Mac that you recommend? I really like to write and create stuff, so if you have any recommendations along those lines or any other kind of good freeware for the Mac, please let me know!

OnyX you've already mentioned, but here's a few of my favourite bits of Mac freeware:

Flip4Mac WMV Player and Perian for allowing QuickTime to play almost any video, and VLC or MPlayer X for those occasions where either I don't want to use Apple's DVD player or I run across a file that Quicktime has trouble with.

Most of the good newsreaders for Mac (Newsfire, Vienna, etc) are free.

Skype is an excellent companion to iChat, and is also free.

And if you just need a nice little word processor, Bean is mighty fine.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
#1. Stay away from questionable websites and don't give your password to something that you didn't explicitly open/download and you should be fine. Good browsing practices are the best form of defense.

#2. I agree with McYukon - SanDisk thumb drives are fantastic. The one I currently use has even been bent and it still works.

M

MacInWin

NoeOffice is a more Mac-like version of OpenOffice, and it's free. Google for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13' Macbook Pro i5
If you don't go to stupid sites or download stupid stuff even a windows machine will not get any viruses,why do you think that most of the non tech friendly people get viruses :).
I use Sandisk 4Gb Cruzer flash drives....Who ever told you of high fail rates flat out lied,I've used them for about 2-2.5 years and they have been washed,fallen,sunk, stepped on and even one melted a little...but they still work like new.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.