Iphone 3gs dropped in water

Reaction score
Hey guys whats up? Im new to this site and it was recommended. I need help on what to do.

-I dropped my phone in the toilet this morning, but I was able to pull it out very fast, like within 1-2 seconds. It was working fine, albeit fogging of the camera and very little fogging on the screen. All the fog went away now so am I able to assume the water is mostly gone?
-One thing it keps saying is this device is not compatible or something. It's funky but I expect that to go away..
-One other problem I have is the sound. The sound works when I play games and get calls, but it doesn't work when I type and unlock it. Will this problem be fixed eventually?
-I am going to set it in a bowl of rice overnight and see what effect it has..
-If anyone could offer advice, it would be much appreciated. Thank You!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air 13" Ultimate (2010)
-I am going to set it in a bowl of rice overnight and see what effect it has..
-If anyone could offer advice, it would be much appreciated. Thank You!

Here is one advice: Do not eat any of that rice afterwards. There is no 3-second-rule for items that have been in the toilet.

Btw, you might wanna cut down on the acid too. :D

OP
A
Reaction score
Haha not exactly the response I was looking for, but it's better than nothing! xD

By the way I found out something else. My headphones seem to work and the indicator is still white. The only thing that doe not seem to work is the sound without the headphones and the occasional "cahrging is not supported" thing so I think the water is mostly on the bottom. And it's slowly going away.

Reaction score
My daughter dropped hers into the pool, got it out very quickly...she took it completely apart, used a blow dryer and Q tip to dry it, and it works good as new! Good luck to you:)

Reaction score
We put an itouch through the clothes washer....let it dry about a week in a bag of rice, then charged it and turned it on. Works fine. Did the same with a BlackBerry that went to the bottom of the lake during a boat launch.

I think the trick is not to try and power it on until its dry.

Good Luck.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
-I dropped my phone in the toilet this morning, but I was able to pull it out very fast, like within 1-2 seconds.

I sure hope there wasn't a "turd" floating in there before the recovery!;)

I'm always surprised to hear how many folks are dropping their phones in their toilets. Must be some REALLY important phone calls, phone messages, texting, or gaming going on!

Reading a newspaper or magazine while on the "crapper" is so much safer!;)

- Nick

OP
A
Reaction score
Yup I was able to pull it out like in 1 second. And I was an idiot, but I did not turn it off or anything. Everything worked fine except the sound. I let dry overnight in rice, blow-dryed it, but it actually started working when I rebooted it. Sound was not working before reboot, but it is now!I guess Im going to be a lot more careful around toilets now... xD

Reaction score
One of my co-workers got an iphone 4 but before he could sell his 3gs he dropped it in some water. He pulled it out real quick and let it dry for a long time, then discovered that it worked.

I think I read that there is a water sensor inside so Apple can tell if you send it in for warranty repair and it has been wet, but frequently if you let it dry completely it will work.

Right now our weather has been over 100F for 14 days straight, so setting it in a protected area outside would probably dry it pretty quickly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.