Performa 6400/200 to G3/350 conversion

W

wallypearson

I have a performa 6400/200 running system 9.0.
I have enherited a B+W g3/350. I will be running 9.0 on the G3 also.
I am faced with transferring my performa stuff to the G3.

Is there a way to move the hard disk to the G3.
The performa is 2G and the G3 is 12G.
Both computers have ZIP drives so I can move some stuff using Zips.

Can the disk be physically moved between platforms and installed
as a "second" disk.

Is there a way to just move the contents.

Wally

OP
B

Badger

The hardest part will be getting the 6400 open. This site has an illustrated guide to getting into the 6400: http://www.zone6400.com/manual/6400manual.html. You'll only need to remove the lower front cover.
1. You can pull the drive from the 6400 and install it in the G3 and copy the data. This link talks about buying a second drive for the G3; ignore that and just use the 6400 drive, the setup is the same: http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G3-ZONE/yosemite/IDE/index.html.
2. Get a cheap pci ethernet card for the 6400 then connect the G3 and 6400 with an ethernet cross-over cable. You could also use two standard ethernet cables and a hub. Once you have the file sharing configured you'll be able to copy everything to the G3. I paid about $10 for the card and the cable was $15.
For info on this see "3 Macs and a Printer" site: http://atpm.com/network/. It explains the setup and file transfering.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
wallypearson said:
I have a performa 6400/200 running system 9.0.
I have enherited a B+W g3/350. I will be running 9.0 on the G3 also.
I am faced with transferring my performa stuff to the G3.

Is there a way to move the hard disk to the G3.
The performa is 2G and the G3 is 12G.
Both computers have ZIP drives so I can move some stuff using Zips.

Can the disk be physically moved between platforms and installed
as a "second" disk.

Is there a way to just move the contents.

Wally
The HD in the performa is SCSI, but if you have a SCSI card in the B&W then you are good to go. Just make sure that (if the 12G drive is also SCSI) the drives have diferent SCSI addresses. If the 12G drive is connected directly to the motherboard it is ATA33 (this is the most likely case).

The easiest solution though is probably zip disks.

OP
B

Badger

The 6400/6500 series use ATA hard drives. The CD and Zip drives are SCSI.

OP
W

wallypearson

Thanks

Badger said:

Thanks, I think I will stick with using ZIP disks. Not sure what type hard
disks the G3 has and once I get running the extra 2G won't be that
much a supplement.

Do applications have to be recompiled on the G3 ?
Some apps I don't have the source code.

OP
B

Badger

There should be little or no problem since you're using OS 9.0 on both computers. There may be a problem if the app has a hidden file like a registration file. Hidden files usually do not copy so have registration numbers etc handy. Personally, I can't think of any app that failed when I moved it to my G3 iMac from my 6400. However, some programs that worked under 9.0 or 9.1 didn't work on 9.2x.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook: 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 120GB HD; PowerTower Pro (300MHz G3 clone): 608MB RAM, 10GB HD
Badger said:

Sorry my mistake. All the other macs I worked with from around that time had 50 pin SCSI, but you're correct the 6400s (and several other models as well) used IDE HDs. In that case it should be quite simple to simply set the drive to slave and plug it in to the second slot on the ata33 cable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.