Can I backup data on a network drive onto my firewire HDD with Time Machine?

Reaction score
Hello, everyone.

I'm a Mac newbie and looking for your help to utilize this Time Machine application. Currently, I'm trying to backup my files on a network disk onto the designated disk for Time Machine, of course it's a physical external HDD, but it seems like Time Machine wouldn't let me do that.

I can find tons of postings about the way to backup files onto a network drive using Time Machine, but not my case.

Any technical advice for me?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I am a tad confused here. I understand that you want to make use of Time Machine I am a bit unclear about the drive that you want to use. You mentioned backing up to a network. What exactly is the drive connected to? If it is an external drive connected to something like an Airport or Time Capsule that can be done.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply, Slydude. I'm trying to backup my files on a network drive to my external HDD using Time Machine, and the network drive is on my web hosting server. Of course, the web hosting company provides me with a pretty reliable backup solution, but it is not an automated system, so I have to do it by myself every morning.

Anyway, my question is

Can Time Machine backup files on a network disk, which is mounted on my Mac, to my external HDD?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Here's something you might try. According to the author it works.

Regards.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey

Regards.

Hey thanks for that link buddy. My media files are on a Time Capsule that I must remember to run the Archive for. It takes a long time partly because I must remember to delete the existing archive before starting a new one. I wonder if this would work well enough to automate the process speed up the process due to incremental backups.

OP
H
Reaction score

Regards.

Thank you for the link, chscag, but I don't think it helps me. Unless I misread, the link is about backup my local system to a network disk; however, what I want is simply backup a network disk with Time Machine, not my local disk. It's actually reverse. I guess Time Machine doesn't support that function. :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.