OS 10.3 install not able to select

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac
Hi, I have a PowerMac G3 running OS 9.2.2. I would like to install OS 10.3 the disk loads and the files & folders are readable. I click the Install icon and the Mac OS X window appears with the restart button, but I get the error "Start up disk was unable to select the install CD as the start up disk. (-2)" I have tried going through the Control panel > Start up Disk but the Install disk cannot be selected although it's listed.
Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Also depending on the model of the G3 you may well have to upgrade the firmware prior to attempting an OS X install. See this for details:-

Mac OS X: Available firmware updates

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
OS 9.2.2, which is an update( from Apple) to v 9.2, should have updated the firmware to enable installation of OS X (I've very recently been through this exercise).

What Panther disks are being used? They should be black in colour, and the serial number of Install disk 1 should read 2Z691-4585-A (the Z is the international version symbol and might not be applicable if you're in the US).

Note: if your Panther Disk 1 reads 2Z691-4633-A, you have the upgrade disk only, and the OS 9 system will not accept it as the correct Installer.

Incidentally, how much RAM is in the G3 PowerMac? You need 128 Mb minimum, and even with that the machine will be as slow as a wet week as the OS writes to Virtual Memory on the hard drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.