Reliable place to buy RAM in the UK?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5 1TB HDD - iPod Touch 4G
Bought a new 21.5 iMac with 4GB ram a couple of months ago. I love it, and only wish I had bought the 27inch - But I digress.

I understand that I can add another 4GB of ram myself by plugging it into a slot underneath the screen. I can tell from the forums that its a pretty simple thing to do, but I also see from the forums, that people DON'T advise purchasing it directly from Apple - Because its cheaper / less expensive elsewhere.

So my question is, how do I know EXACTLY what RAM I need to order, and where is the best place to order it from?

Online is fine - Just want it to be a reputable place.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cool... Next question - Looking at the link above, I gave it my details and it suggested a 4gb chip...

When I profile my mac, it says that I have four slots. Two have 2gb chips in - Would I need to have 2 more 2 gig chips (To fill the two empty slots and keep it equal...) Or does the 4GB chip just work ok in one slot?

Second question - 8 Gig is the max I can have isn't it? Not that I want more... But I am just wanting to know for my own knowledge

My specs are

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac10,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 3.06 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

and Ram says...

BANK 0/DIMM0:

Size: Empty
Type: Empty
Speed: Empty
Manufacturer: Empty
Part Number: Empty
Serial Number: Empty

BANK 1/DIMM0:

Size: Empty
Type: Empty
Speed: Empty
Manufacturer: Empty
Part Number: Empty
Serial Number: Empty

BANK 0/DIMM1:

Size: 2 GB
Type: DDR3
Speed: 1067 MHz
Manufacturer: 0x80CE
Part Number: 0x4D34373142353637334648302D4346382020
Serial Number: 0x62B3CEF7

BANK 1/DIMM1:

Size: 2 GB
Type: DDR3
Speed: 1067 MHz
Manufacturer: 0x80CE
Part Number: 0x4D34373142353637334648302D4346382020
Serial Number: 0x62B3CEFE

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
When I profile my mac, it says that I have four slots. Two have 2gb chips in - Would I need to have 2 more 2 gig chips (To fill the two empty slots and keep it equal...) Or does the 4GB chip just work ok in one slot?

Second question - 8 Gig is the max I can have isn't it? Not that I want more... But I am just wanting to know for my own knowledge

Your computer can have a max of 16 gig of ram. Since you have 4 ram slots (2 currently filled with 2 x 2gig sticks of ram)...you could purchase that 4 gig stick of ram, install it, and then you would have 8 gig of ram...leaving you with 1 empty ram slot to upgrade later.

But...I always try to save people money...so before you order that 4 gig stick of ram...do you REALLY need 8 gig of ram? You didn't mention what you do with your computer...and at least currently...not that many people NEED 8 gig of ram.

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Nick.

Your right - I dont need huge ram. Its running fine as it is. I just had it in my mind that I could only install a max of 8, and was considering purchasing another 4, just so as I had the 'max' available.

TBH, I have just come into a small amount of spare money, and just thought that I might do it... A bit like when you have a nice car, that works fine, you still get the windows tinted... Just cause you can LOL

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your right - I dont need huge ram. Its running fine as it is. I just had it in my mind that I could only install a max of 8, and was considering purchasing another 4, just so as I had the 'max' available.

TBH, I have just come into a small amount of spare money, and just thought that I might do it... A bit like when you have a nice car, that works fine, you still get the windows tinted... Just cause you can LOL

If you really don't need more ram...I bet that you can find something else to spend that money on!;) Another Apple product to go with your iMac..another electronic device, or worst case scenario...put the money in the bank.:)

Yeah I know putting the money in the bank is boring...but look at it this way. If you spend that money on another 4 gig of ram for your iMac...after you install the new ram...you will probably not notice any difference in the performance of your iMac. So it will be like nothing happened to your iMac with the extra ram...but you will also not have that spare money either!:(

So spend that money on something else more fun...and something that you will notice...like a Magic Trackpad, a wireless keyboard, a wireless mouse, an iPod Touch...or keep saving your money...and eventually get an iPad!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
^ agreed.... otherwise, put it towards the next wizzbang product that Apple comes out with that you just "have to have!" :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Or even much, much better invest in an external Firewire case and hard drive. Backing up is essential in this day and age with large iTunes and iPhoto storage.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Or even much, much better invest in an external Firewire case and hard drive. Backing up is essential in this day and age with large iTunes and iPhoto storage.

Great suggestion Harry!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.