New MBP, problem with "winmail.dat attachments going from Outlook to iMail...HELP!

Reaction score
Hey guys, great site! I've been reading this forum all night.

SITUATION: To get my email from Outlook 2003 on the Windows 7 side (I use Boot Camp), I created an IMAP account with Outlook and copied everything in my inbox, including subfolders to the IMAP server. Then, I rebooted into MacOSX, set up the IMAP account in iMail and it proceeded to download everything from the mail server.

PROBLEM: In iMail though, all of my attachments are now showing up as Winmail.dat files instead of the original attachment.

Anyone know what causes this and how to fix it? For my work, 90% of my business is email (commercial real estate) and I'm done wasting my life "working" on PCs and dealing with all of that BS so I'm on my last trek back to the light side but this bump could prove disastrous for me.

I just got a new MBP 17" from Best Buy and I've been PC my whole life. I used to be in advertising as an Avid Editor and I used Adobe After Effects for motion graphics, etc so I got to taste the Mac for 5 years or so but I'm having to relearn it again. New career forced me back into PC limbo the last 7 years unfortunately so this site has been a Godsend in helping me get back to the light side.

Thanks for any help guys!

OP
R
Reaction score
sperives between

I think I saw someone post a comment about Little Machines or some program like that that ports email from PC to Mac. I wonder if this solves the winmail.dat thing?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yep, O2M is what you need. Moving the folders was OK, however, Outlook mail attachments do not translate without third party help. Mac Office 2011 will include Outlook in the Standard and Business versions but you'll have to wait until sometime in October before MS releases it.

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
well, after taking out all of the subfolders and just having one level of folders for all the mail copied to the IMAP server, it seemed to reset and now I have the correct type of attachments. I'll need to check them all and make sure but I've looked at a number of attachments (pdf files, doc files, and jpgs) and everything opened up correctly.

I appreciate the link though because I might end up having to use that anyways just to be safe and also to deal with transferring my contacts over as well.

Thanks again and if someone else is having issues with this, make sure you don't have a bunch of subfolders like I did.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.