Buying iPhone 4 in Japan - questions

Reaction score
I live in Beijing but I'm going over to Japan over the summer.

I took one look at iPhone 4 prices over there, and decided straight away, I'm getting one. JPY46,000 for 16GB is **** cheap (roughly CNY3650). Originally I wanted an unlocked one from UK/HK, but the huge savings may clinch this one for me (unlocked iPhone 4 is £500 in UK), not to mention I won't be going to HK or UK for a while and I don't want to wait!

I have a couple questions:
-To clarify some jargon, does "unlocking" mean that I get to use any SIM card in it, and "jailbreaking" means the same thing PLUS I get to download apps from places other than iTunes app store?
-Is it the case that "Unlocking" can be "legally" (if by a mobile carrier), but "jailbreaking" voids Apple warranty (although not strictly "illegal")?
-Will I definitely need to unlock/jailbreak my phone to use it anywhere OTHER than Japan?
-If I buy just an iPhone 4 (no contract) in Japan, jailbreak it for use abroad, then move to Japan eventually (I am hoping to move there in a year or so), will I be able to get a Softbank micro SIM without buying another handset (my question is, can you buy a standalone micro SIM from Softbank, seeing as they only offer micro-SIMs for iPhone 4 and not for any other handset)?
-Is it possible to jailbreak for free? I don't wish to have to pay some shady dealer to jailbreak every time the iOS is updated.

Is there anything else I should consider before making this decision?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
#1 Yes
#2 Both can now be legally done. See here http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ios-apps/209466-jailbreaking-now-permissible-discussion.html. And yes once done you have voided your warranty.
#3 No, if you can swallow the roaming changes.
#4 That depends if Japan sells SIM cards without a phone
#5 Jailbreaking should always be free, for now you can visit jailbreakme.com and do it with a swipe of a finger.

#6 jailbreaking is hugely overrated IMO, the main reason to jailbreak is to use other carriers.
http://www.macworld.com/article/153198/jailbreak_worthwhile.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.