Imac Purchase = Need Help

Reaction score
My current Mac is a
2007 MBP
Intel Core Duo 2.2ghz
4gb Ram
Nvidia 8600 128mb
7200 rpm HD

My computer runs flawless and has never had any problems but it's time for an upgrade. My profession is Recording HD Video and editing on Final Cut Pro. I would like a faster computer to help with rendering times, effects and just overall better performance. Ideally I would love to get the new MBP 17" but that is out of my price range. I have a budget of $1500-$1600 Max and that is with me selling some blood and half of my kidney ( :cool:)

So in actuality I would like to keep it around Max $1300-1450. Now with all of that out of the way, which would be a better computer than the one I have now and worth the $$

Looking at the Apple Refurbished Store here are my thoughts

$1529 + tax
iMac 27" Quad Core i5 2.66ghz
Refurbished iMac 27-inch 2.66GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 - Apple Store (U.S.)

$1529 + tax
MacBook Pro 15.4" i5 2.4ghz
Refurbished MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Intel Core i5 - Apple Store (U.S.)

Or should I just go with the new released iMacs ( Base Model )
$1399
imac 21.5" 3.06ghz i3 with 8gbs of ram
Configure - Apple Store (U.S.)

So yeah these are my thoughts so please help me out anyone. Is the new i3 iMac worth it or should I just get the older imac which has a quad core i5 for like $200 more even though it's refurbished? At the end of the day any of these computers will be faster than my Core 2 duo 2.2ghz MBP. What I will miss from my MBP is the pcmi slot which I use for memory cards, esata, more firewire etc.

THANKS

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You mentioned being interested in a new Macbook Pro & the 27" iMac.

I think that you first need to decide whether you need the portability/mobility of a laptop. Once you make that decision...choosing a new computer will be much easier.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
You mentioned being interested in a new Macbook Pro & the 27" iMac.

I think that you first need to decide whether you need the portability/mobility of a laptop. Once you make that decision...choosing a new computer will be much easier.

HTH,

- Nick

That did not answer my question at all , 90% of my work is done at home so laptop or desktop is not a concern. All I care about is actual Power/Specs.

Looking on ebay I seen they are selling 2.66ghz quad core Intel Xeon Mac Pro for like $1200-$1500, how would this Mac Pro stack up against my other options?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That did not answer my question at all , 90% of my work is done at home so laptop or desktop is not a concern. All I care about is actual Power/Specs.

I understand that my earlier response did not answer your question. You are not the first person to ask this sort of question.

When someone posts that they are interested in purchasing one of two computers...and one is a laptop & one is a desktop...a decision should really be made first whether the mobility/portability of a laptop is needed. If it is...then get the laptop, if not...then get the desktop.

You almost always get more "computer" (faster cpu, bigger hard drive, more ram, better graphics hardware. etc.) for your money when buying a desktop computer...if a person needs the portability of a laptop...that's the trade-off.

So like I said...it will make your computer purchase decision much easier if you decide whether you need the portability of a laptop.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

What Nick asked makes sense. Obviously when choosing a machine you first need to consider how it's going to be used. There's a world of difference between a MBP and a desktop unit such as the iMac 27" model. So if you want advice, don't toss it off with "All I care....."

Looking on ebay I seen they are selling 2.66ghz quad core Intel Xeon Mac Pro for like $1200-$1500, how would this Mac Pro stack up against my other options?

Unless you're willing to risk a "bad sale" on an unseen Mac Pro from eBay, I would stay away from purchasing there.

Regards.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

As far as the comparison between the 27" iMac in your 1st post...and the Mac Pro mentioned in your 2nd post (both roughly the same price)...I would most definitely go with the 27" iMac.

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Ok it seems like people do not know how to read between the lines. I want a MBP but they cost a lot more than a desktop. So while 90% of my work is done at home there are those occasions where it is nice to have a laptop so I can travel anywhere with it.

With that said I am willing to lose that mobility for a faster computer because of the $$.

So while yes I would love a new MBP, the price tag of $2000+ is more than I can spend. So My budget is $1300-$1500. I am a video editor, editing HD footage so I need a computer that is better than my 2.2ghz MBP.

Sorry for the confusion, but ultimately what is more important to me is POWER

Thanks

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
You aren't going to get power from a Notebook as they are made for mobility. If you want power then get a desktop machine.

Hope that is clear enough for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
From your lists the 27 iMac seems to be the most powerful. You can go to the Intel site
and compare the different processors but as it stands i5 and i7 will generally show 20%
faster if your program can make use of multi-core and hyperthreading and depending on
the model some have 1333Mhz of ram instead of 1066Mhz .

Reaction score
Ok it seems like people do not know how to read between the lines. I want a MBP but they cost a lot more than a desktop. So while 90% of my work is done at home there are those occasions where it is nice to have a laptop so I can travel anywhere with it.

With that said I am willing to lose that mobility for a faster computer because of the $$.

So while yes I would love a new MBP, the price tag of $2000+ is more than I can spend. So My budget is $1300-$1500. I am a video editor, editing HD footage so I need a computer that is better than my 2.2ghz MBP.

Sorry for the confusion, but ultimately what is more important to me is POWER

Thanks

The 13" Unibody Aluminum MacBook Pro and a 21.5" base iMac are both the same starting price. Again- 90% of your work is done at home- that's understandable- but here you say "it is nice to have a laptop so I can travel anywhere with it" and yet you say you want a desktop. Which would you rather have? What we're saying here is you will have slightly less power for the mobility of a MacBook Pro (albeit you can do RAM and HDD modifications later on)- or you can have the power of a desktop with the iMac. It's your choice- not ours.

Don't come knocking on this forum's door with the same old line that we've heard before. It sometimes doesn't end well.

OP
T
Reaction score
The 13" Unibody Aluminum MacBook Pro and a 21.5" base iMac are both the same starting price. Again- 90% of your work is done at home- that's understandable- but here you say "it is nice to have a laptop so I can travel anywhere with it" and yet you say you want a desktop. Which would you rather have? What we're saying here is you will have slightly less power for the mobility of a MacBook Pro (albeit you can do RAM and HDD modifications later on)- or you can have the power of a desktop with the iMac. It's your choice- not ours.

Don't come knocking on this forum's door with the same old line that we've heard before. It sometimes doesn't end well.

I bought my laptop when I was in the military and I was constantly traveling. I am no longer in the military. I also used my laptop now with my current profession when I am dumping my footage on the set of music videos. Now that is the reason why a laptop has been helpful for me, BUT I am willing to give up that mobility for a faster/stronger computer.

Are people here that blind that they still don't understand what I mean? Portability is excellent but at the end of the day power is more important to me. So if around the $1500-$1600 price range I can get a laptop, desktop or a **** computer inside of a microwave it doesn't matter to me all I care about is POWER at that price range.

Must be a low Iq of people here on this site

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok it seems like people do not know how to read between the lines.

Sorry for the confusion, but ultimately what is more important to me is POWER.

Don't make us "read between the lines"...we don't know you & we don't know what you're thinking. If you want clear & concise help with this decision...be VERY clear in your posting...and you'll get helpful responses.

If you want more POWER...at the best possible price...a desktop computer is your best bet!:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are people here that blind that they still don't understand what I mean? Portability is excellent but at the end of the day power is more important to me. So if around the $1500-$1600 price range I can get a laptop, desktop or a **** computer inside of a microwave it doesn't matter to me all I care about is POWER at that price range.

Must be a low Iq of people here on this site

There are a lot of very intelligent & experienced members on this forum...and you're doing yourself absolutely no good making enemies.

You keep saying that you want a laptop...but what's most important to you is power, and your budget is $1500-$1600 dollars. You have three factors at play here...power, mobility, and a limited budget. If you had an unlimited budget...then you could buy the most expensive laptop...and get plenty of power & mobility. If you want the most power for your money...then you have to give up mobility...and purchase a desktop.

If you want the most power for your money...a desktop is the way to go. If you want mobility, then get a laptop.

It's really that simple!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
I would think that for what the current MacBook Pro line offers with the Intel Core i-Series processors, you're not missing out on a whole lot- despite the desktop iMac having a higher clock speed- let's not forget to mention the MBP's can handle quite a bit of RAM.

OP
T
Reaction score
Another option I just thought of is upgrading my Ram to 6gbs instead of 4 and buying a better hard drive such as this one

Amazon.com: Seagate Momentus XT 500 GB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s 32 MB Cache 2.5 Inch…

Total cost is about $250, I know it wont really make my computer that much better but I know it will help at least a little till I get more money and just buy a $2000 computer like I want too.

Money is always a problem so you have to decide what it is you can afford and if it's worth it

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My computer runs flawless and has never had any problems but it's time for an upgrade. My profession is Recording HD Video and editing on Final Cut Pro. I would like a faster computer to help with rendering times, effects and just overall better performance.

Another option I just thought of is upgrading my Ram to 6gbs instead of 4 and buying a better hard drive such as this one

Total cost is about $250, I know it wont really make my computer that much better but I know it will help at least a little till I get more money and just buy a $2000 computer like I want too.

Money is always a problem so you have to decide what it is you can afford and if it's worth it

In your initial post you outlined your reasons for upgrading your computer (which is a good thing). Long rendering times are certainly a great reason to upgrade...and of course shorter rendering times means greater productivity.

You obviously know best if purchasing a new computer vs. upgrading your current computer will help you out the most. If there just aren't enough hours in a day...or you're missing deadlines...then a faster computer would seem to be the way to go. Another interesting idea would be to purchase a 2nd used computer (to save money)...then you could render double the files simultaneously.

Another thing to consider. If your computer tasks are generating income...if a newer & more powerful computer will help you do things faster...you could calculate how long (in the time saved) it would take to recoup the $1500 you would spend on a new computer.

If this period of time is short (for example 6 months or less)...then getting the newer & more powerful computer is certainly the thing to do. Or if you are trying to build a business & and attracting new clients...and fast project turn-around is important to building the business...then again...the new computer is the way to go.

If the period of time is long (12 months or more)...and your business is really not ready to take off yet...then maybe upgrading your current computer is the best idea.

Food for thought,

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
In your initial post you outlined your reasons for upgrading your computer (which is a good thing). Long rendering times are certainly a great reason to upgrade...and of course shorter rendering times means greater productivity.

You obviously know best if purchasing a new computer vs. upgrading your current computer will help you out the most. If there just aren't enough hours in a day...or you're missing deadlines...then a faster computer would seem to be the way to go. Another interesting idea would be to purchase a 2nd used computer (to save money)...then you could render double the files simultaneously.

Another thing to consider. If your computer tasks are generating income...if a newer & more powerful computer will help you do things faster...you could calculate how long (in the time saved) it would take to recoup the $1500 you would spend on a new computer.

If this period of time is short (for example 6 months or less)...then getting the newer & more powerful computer is certainly the thing to do. Or if you are trying to build a business & and attracting new clients...and fast project turn-around is important to building the business...then again...the new computer is the way to go.

If the period of time is long (12 months or more)...and your business is really not ready to take off yet...then maybe upgrading your current computer is the best idea.

Food for thought,

- Nick

Excellent post, thank you for your time and experience I agree with you 100%. If a faster computer can allow me to render in half of the time than time is money and the way I am working now it seems like I don't have enough time in a day

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.