Operating systems: Help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Hey, im a longtime mac user and i bought a mac back in 2007, and back then it had mac os x 10.4. Being that i only use it for schoolwork and such it got the job done. I just bought a new video game that requires that i have at least os x 10.5.8 and it works best with 10.6.2. I cannot find the 10.5 disk set, i can only find the 10.6 disk set on the apple website. I was wondering is there any way i can get to 10.5, even though 10.6 is already out, and if its free, thats ever better :p

OP
I
Reaction score
just realized this might be in the wrong place, ill just repost is the proper area.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
My advice is go buy a retail Snow Leopard as these are only $29 USD or $39 AUD. If you try to buy a set of Leopard disks, im thinking they could set you back a quite considerable amount of money.
SL is cheap and a good upgrade to a new OS. Mind you once you have upgraded you will need to update all your other Apps and especially the 3rd party one's to be compatible with Snow Leopard :)

Cheers

OP
I
Reaction score
i guess my question is, can i make the jump from 10.4 to 10.6, by that i mean buying snow leopard without somehow getting leopard first?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
You most certainly can as long as you have a Intel based Mac and not PPC

Cheers

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
i guess my question is, can i make the jump from 10.4 to 10.6, by that i mean buying snow leopard without somehow getting leopard first?

Note that the upgrade version of Snow Leopard mentioned by Tattoo is legally designed only to be used to upgrade Leopard to Snow Leopard. And it does not include the iLife suite and some of the other Apple included software from the full version.

You really need to purchase the full version of Snow Leopard or what's known as the boxed set. You can purchase that at your local Apple store, Best Buy, or from Apple on line. It is considerably more expensive than the upgrade.

Regards.

Reaction score
Yes, you can go from 10.4 to 10.6 without installing 10.5. The $29.00 disc works just fine, I did it on my "new" ('07 Intel) mini. As far as the issue about whether you can "officially" use the $29 disc to go directly from Tiger to Snow Leopard. I looked very carefully at the license agreement and noted that it stated that if you had purchased it as an upgrade you needed a license of Leopard installed first. I also looked very carefully at the box, the barcode label, and the disc. The box and label declare that you are buying "Mac OSX Snow Leopard", and the disc says it is an "Install DVD". Nowhere could I find anything that implied that the disc was only for upgrading.

The official "Box Set" upgrade deal does include a nice upgrade to iPhoto and some other things and looks like a good deal for the price (compare to upgrading Windows). I would have gone that route myself, if I had not just gone through the effort and cost of tracking down a legitimate copy of 10.5 to update my "old" ('05 G4) mini from Panther (that was enough work that I didn't feel too guilty just buying the $29 10.6 disc).

The impression I get is that Apple would like to sell you upgrades to your iPhoto, iLife and the rest of it too. But, they would also like to get as many people using Snow Leopard as they can. Consequently, they don't make the Box Set the only way to move from Tiger to Leopard (I'm sure the $29 disc could have easily been configured to look for a Leopard license). They would also like people to move away from the older G4 Macs, hence the difficulty in getting Leopard.

If anyone out there wants 10.5, I got it from Apple for about $140 (last November), but not at the Apple store or on their website, I called one of their 800#s (I'll look it up if anyone really wants to know). Amazon, eBay etc. have such a mish-mash of prices and versions that, combined with uncertainty in knowing what might actually be delivered, I found buying from Apple was the easiest way to go.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@erikb

Read my reply again.

No one stated that you could not use the upgrade version of Snow Leopard to do a full install. What was stated, however, is that it is meant to be used as an upgrade from Leopard. By using the upgrade version of Snow Leopard without having a license for Leopard, you are not following the guidelines set down by the Apple EULA.

We follow the rules and guidelines that Apple sets in their EULA in this forum, thus, the warning about needing a full boxed copy.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
As much as I agree with post #8, I'm beginning to harbor ill will towards Apple for creating a monster. I hope they learn from this "experiment" and give Mac owners better options in the future. The difficulty in finding a reasonably priced retail version of Leopard is making "criminals" out of people who really want to be honest, and would trot right down to the Apple Store to get a $79 Leopard disc instead of the $29 Snow Leopard just because they want to do the right thing.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can certainly empathize with those folks who wish to do an upgrade from Tiger, however, I'm also grateful that I was only charged $29 for my SL upgrade. The difference is that I already own Leopard.

I would advise anyone who wishes to upgrade from Tiger to Snow Leopard, to skip Leopard entirely and buy the boxed set of Snow Leopard. Amazon is currently offering the full boxed set for $95 plus free shipping. That's a bargain.

Regards.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I can certainly empathize with those folks who wish to do an upgrade from Tiger, however, I'm also grateful that I was only charged $29 for my SL upgrade. The difference is that I already own Leopard.

I would advise anyone who wishes to upgrade from Tiger to Snow Leopard, to skip Leopard entirely and buy the boxed set of Snow Leopard. Amazon is currently offering the full boxed set for $95 plus free shipping. That's a bargain.

Regards.
Couldn't agree more. I thought Apple's upgrade policy was quite reasonable. Skipping Leopard was not only possible the full version of Snow Leopard was no more expensive really than other versions had been. Not much loss there. The "upgrade" version simply meant that Leopard owners weren't forced to pony up full price again. Leopard wasn't really that old.

Reaction score
Yes, you can go from 10.4 to 10.6 without installing 10.5. The $29.00 disc works just fine, I did it on my "new" ('07 Intel) mini. As far as the issue about whether you can "officially" use the $29 disc to go directly from Tiger to Snow Leopard. I looked very carefully at the license agreement and noted that it stated that if you had purchased it as an upgrade you needed a license of Leopard installed first. I also looked very carefully at the box, the barcode label, and the disc. The box and label declare that you are buying "Mac OSX Snow Leopard", and the disc says it is an "Install DVD". Nowhere could I find anything that implied that the disc was only for upgrading.

This has undoubtedly got to be the most ignorant thing I've ever read.

Just because it says "Install DVD" and "Mac OS X Snow Leopard" does NOT mean that the disc can be used for other things other than upgrading from Leopard to Snow Leopard. The EULA exists for a reason.

On a side note, should this thread continue to reflect EULA violations- I say it should be closed. Go with chscag's post- buy the official Box Set.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK guys, I think everyone understands the Apple EULA with regard to the Snow Leopard upgrade versus the full boxed version. Lets move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.