Logitech Speakers

Reaction score
I am just wondering if these speakers (Amazon.com: Logitech Z-5300e THX-Certified 280-Watt 5.1 Surround Sound PC and…) will work on the new iMac 27"? I will be purchasing the iMac 27" soon and want to know if these speakers are compatible with the iMac 27" or if I'll have to purchase new speakers. Thanks! Also if these speakers are not compatible, would someone please point out some affordable speakers that are on-par or even better than these? The speakers I have (check link above) a three-prong cord that hooks into my computer. I just checked out the iMac 27" ports and it doesn't look like there is a three-prong port that would allow these puppies to work. Could someone help me? Sorry for any confusion.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I can't tell what kind of inputs it accepts based on Amazon's description and even the support site at Logitech. The iMac has an optical out that should be adaptable to just about any kind of speaker set, including this one. But I can't say that definitively.

Logitech's high-end Z-series THX certified speakers are indeed awesome. I have an older 2.1 system (just after they bought out Boston Acoustics - it was rebranded as Logitech) and if it's anything like that system, I can tell you that you'll be thrilled with it.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thank you for your suggestions, good sir. The inputs I am speaking about (if this helps) are black, green, and orange colored. There are three of them that need to plug into three different outlets on the iMac 27" which doesn't seem to have them. Logitech definitely makes some nice sound-systems. The 5.1 with the subwoofer is amazing.

Also, what is an optical out? (lol)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
A couple of the reviews here flat out say no Optical Input. Not a good thing!

Macs either have an optical digital or normal analog speaker out (the green jack would hook to that). Not sure what to suggest.

Anyone else know of a way? I know Logitech had at one time an adapter that you plugged those 3 cables into that worked with a normal audio out. I have one sitting here in fact in front of me .

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I have within the last week taken delivery of a 27" iMac and I doubt very much if you will get your Logitech system to work; but I live in the UK and maybe there is an adaptor or some such which will do the trick. Can't Logitech help?

As regards a new system, I have, through several computers, used the Bose 5-in-1 Companion system which provides superb sound quality with a surround sound effect. They are pricey (in the UK anyway), but truly excellent in their sound delivery. They are compatible with all Mac systems.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.