Question about iMac and Adobe CS

Reaction score
HI all!

This is my first post. Great to be here.

I just got lucky on buying the Adobe CS3 Production Premium for Mac, at a very good price. Eventually I want to upgrade to CS5.

So I have decided in buying a new iMac. This will be my first Mac! I'm an animator, but I used a Dell Precision before now.

My question is, will the entry level iMac (at $1299) work well with CS5 (when I eventually upgrade)? I assume it will run CS3 Production Premium well.

Or should I get a Macbook Pro? Is a 13" Macbook Pro faster than the entry level iMac?

Eventually I'm going to use the CS5 Production Premium, and I'll be using Adobe After Effects a lot.

C

chas_m

My question is, will the entry level iMac (at $1299) work well with CS5 (when I eventually upgrade)?

It will work BEAUTIFULLY. This is the current de facto combination of hardware and software in use at thousands of ad agencies all over the world, where time is literally money.

I assume it will run CS3 Production Premium well.

Yes.

Or should I get a Macbook Pro? Is a 13" Macbook Pro faster than the entry level iMac?

No. Not sure where you got that idea.

If you need portability, get a portable. Otherwise, get a desktop. Desktops are generally always more powerful than portables.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thank you Chas for your help! I really appreciate it.

I will check out the Apple store tomorrow!

I'm having fun searching the forum tonight. It appears there are many questions similar to mine.

I'm a little torn between the desktop and laptops (because of small apartment and limited space). I just read about the 15" Macbook pro, i5 core, 4 gb RAM, with NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M. This looks tempting, but I'm not sure how it would do with HD video editing on After Effects or Premiere Pro.

But the entry level iMac looks like a fine machine too. Decisions!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
The nice thing about the MBP is that you can always hook it up to a another monitor and use it as a desktop replacement. The only downside is that it may not be as powerful as most dedicated desktop machines.

OP
L
Reaction score
hoscive 12

Yeah, that is my worry about the laptop.

Right now, I thinking seriously that the iMac, 27" inch, i5 core ($1999) machine is the one for me.

Thanks, what a great board!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.