"You need to restart your computer" after Time Machine restore..

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently upgraded my stock Hard with a new 500gb one.

So I backed up my current OS onto an external USB drive via Tim Machine. Then took that hard drive out, and put the new on in.

I put the install disk in and went to boot from that.

In doing so, it told me I couldn't restore from my TM version because the version I had was different to the disk (Snow Leopard is the TM version).

So I thought, oh well, install fresh then put snow leopard on, then do a restore.

Did all that the restore went fine, at the end it said reboot - so I did, now when i turn the Macbook Pro 13" on I get the kernal panic message.

I don't really want to go through the process of reinstalling the OS again, only for it to fail!

So am I doing something wrong? BTW before I did the restore I was able to get into the OS just fine.

Also if I boot from the CD again it shows the hard drive under the TM backup name (Which is right) so I know the restore has worked..kinda?

Any ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which install DVD did you boot from when you got the message that the Snow Leopard Time Machine backup couldn't restore? Reason I ask is if you booted the machine with your Snow Leopard DVD and started the install and then used your TM backup, you should not have gotten that message.

It sounds to me that you may have booted with the original install media that came with your machine, Leopard? Please clarify.

And, the only way to clear up a kernel panic after a restore is to try again or use some other method of restoring. Something is corrupt and causing the panic.

Regards.

OP
S
Reaction score
I wasn't aware I could boot from Snow Leopard as I took it to be a "patch" rather than a fully fledge OS in its self... *noob*

Just attempting a restore via the Snow Leopard install disk - so I shall see how I go!

Many Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK. Not a problem, that's what we're here for. Yes, you can indeed boot with your Snow Leopard DVD, and that should resolve the problem. If you get another kernel panic after that, post back and we'll try to figure something out.

Regards.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great to hear you're up and running again. Have fun and visit often.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook5,1 (early 2008), 8GB RAM, 320 GB, 7200 RPM; iPhone 3GS, 16GB; iPad 2 in the mail!
thanks heaps chscag!!!

I was banging my head all day trying to figure what the eff was going on. Here's comin to find out I had grabbed my original disc (10.5.5) instead of my Snow Leopard disc by accident. Talk about a blond moment, Crikey!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.