Can I revert my iPhone 3G back to the original OS it came with when I bought it?

Reaction score
I've had this phone for over 2 years now, and I have to say it's been getting slower and slower with each update I've installed to it. Lately, I installed iOS4 and now it takes 10 seconds to open up my SMS, (which is my primary app I use).

I'm very irritated by this and I would like to reset the phone back to the original OS it came with when I purchased the phone two years ago. Is this possible? If so, how?

Thanks,

-Heff

Reaction score
yes it is possible...sometimes.

Its largely dependent on exactly which hardware you own and whether the hackers out on the tube-o-sphere have developed a downgrade for that hardware. Bear in mind that there are hardware revs for each iphone model. In other words there are multiple versions of the iphone 3G. They are not all exactly the same.

Anyway, just do a google search for iphone 3g downgrade (or whatever model you have but I'm betting on 3g given the timeframe you've stated) and you'll find a wealth of information. Be warned, some of it gets a bit techy :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.