Retaining formatting while pasting in Word

Reaction score
Hi -

I've been working on a book manuscript using an individual Word file for each chapter. Today when I tried to copy and paste each of those sections into one unified manuscript, the formatting went berserk. How do I paste existing Word files into a new document without disrupting the formatting?

I did some online searches and figured out that it has something to do with the style formatting, but the version of Word I'm using doesn't seem to have the "Keep Source Format" option that newer versions have. I am working on a MacBook (2007) with Word v. X.

Any advice??

Thanks in advance...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
You could download Open Office and see if the same problems occur. If not, then you could try pasting the result back into Word if you really think it has to be in that program.

OP
S
Reaction score
Interesting idea - thanks! I haven't used Open Office before.

I'd still welcome Word-specific strategies if there are any out there, since I will have to submit the document that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Another thought: only paste sections that do not change formatting. In other words, one section at a time. Stop where the formatting changes, then paste the differently formatted section next, and so on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Clarification please:
1. are you going from one Word document to another (new) Word document, using the same Word application?
2. Word "Word v. X"? Do you mean MS Office 2010 version?
3. are you doing the text transfer at the one/same computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21" 8GB, MBP 15" 2.5 Penryn, 4 GB/180 GB
Clarification please:
1. are you going from one Word document to another (new) Word document, using the same Word application?
2. Word "Word v. X"? Do you mean MS Office 2010 version?
3. are you doing the text transfer at the one/same computer?

And to continue this:

4. Did you set up the new document with the same paragraph styles, margins, etc. as the original documents?

Reaction score
I'd recommend going here
http://word.mvps.org/mac/bend/bendwordtoyourwill.html

and getting a copy of that 'Bend Word to your will' document.... it's excellent, and will really help you get to grips as to how templates/formats/styles work. Wish I'd found it years ago... (it's not specific to Word 2010, or even the 2008 i'm using, but it'll truly help you see why certain things happen).

Sounds like your templates may be all different - it's no easy quick fix, but dig thru that document and it'll help now and in the future...

Coops

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.