logic board & Hard drive defective

Reaction score
I am not sure this is the right place for this gripe, but here go's. I like my mac"s, I have an Imac g5/13"lap & a 3 month old 15" Mbp. What really upset me is the Mbp(3mon.old) had to have both the HD and the logic board replaced(no charge). Now I am delt with a decision, Take out apple care at $399. or take my chance that this is the worst that will happen. Decisions aside, what ever happened to quality control? or is apple to the point where they no longer are interested in computers and the other stuff is the main concern? Are the suppliers calling the shot now? Yes , this is a an odd ball, but come on, two of the main components, really. Whats your view?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am not sure this is the right place for this gripe, but here go's. I like my mac"s, I have an Imac g5/13"lap & a 3 month old 15" Mbp. What really upset me is the Mbp(3mon.old) had to have both the HD and the logic board replaced(no charge). Now I am delt with a decision, Take out apple care at $399. or take my chance that this is the worst that will happen. Decisions aside, what ever happened to quality control? or is apple to the point where they no longer are interested in computers and the other stuff is the main concern? Are the suppliers calling the shot now? Yes , this is a an odd ball, but come on, two of the main components, really. Whats your view?

What's my view?

Do you really think that every manufacturing process turns out 100% perfect products...no! Every manufacturing process has the occasional defect. In some rarer instances there may be two defects...and then in even MORE rare instances you may get three defects.

So someone could possibly (in a very very very rare instance) have a bad logic board, bad hard drive, bad display, and bad ram! It's all about statistics.

If Apples products were as bad as you say...do you really think folks would continue to buy them? An article was just posted here on Mac-Forums that Apple is #1 in the world in customer satisfaction!

So yes...sometimes products with defects get past Quality Control...because almost no company does a 100% inspection of everything they produce. Also consider the fact that:

- this laptop could have been exposed to some sort of abuse AFTER it was manufactured (say during shipping)
- you may have unknowingly abused the laptop in some way
- your laptop may have been exposed to a power spike...which may have "zapped" the logic board

Praise Apple for repairing your laptop hassle free!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.