New powerbook owner got some questions on RAM, already searched

I

itbejack

Hey guys im pretty new here just got a powerbook less then a month ago. I recently bought a 1gb samsung sodimm but it was pc3200 not pc2700. I installed the ram and it is working right now but I am worried wil this effect my computer in anyway?
secondly, i read alot about running memory test, how do I do that?
third, is there anything else I shoudl be concered about?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Don't really need to be worried: RAM is backwards compatible speed-wise, meaning pc3200 will run at pc2700 without any problems.

Think of it as a Ferrari: They can go 200Km/h, but can also go 50Km/h.

The only consideration is that you might have been able to save a few bucks by buying the slower RAM, but probably not much.

To do the hardware test, you need to boot of the system disks that came with your PB:
Reboot with the 2nd system disk (with the additional software on) in the drive and hold down c at startup...
I think

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
not extra just on your system disk. put that disk in and hold down the c key

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My setup: 17in SD iMac G5, 1GB RAM & 12in iBook, 1.5GB RAM (Both computers standard config.)
What you need to use is the Apple Hardware test that is on one of the discs that came with your mac. My hardware test is on disc one but it my be different for the powerbooks. My disc also says to hold down the option key when starting up. When you do that three selections will pop up on the screen and you can choose to boot from the DVD (to reinstall), the HD (to regular boot), or the Apple Hardware test (this is the one you want). Just choose the Apple Hardware test and then choose what test you want to run. One is a short test and the other is an extended test. I will warn you that the extended test on my iMac with 2GB of ram took 1 hour and 45 min.

Hope that helps

OP
I

itbejack

I did a search online and found this program called "memtest" at http://www.memtestosx.org, it ran for 5+ hours and then told me the ram was ok, anyone else ever use this program? any thoughts or experiences.

OP
D

Darth_Sandwich

I've run memtest on quite a few computers, it seems to be a pretty catagorically thorough RAM test. I highly recommend it if you find yourself suspicious about your RAM sticks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 3.06GHz 4GB RAM 1TB | MacBook Pro 13" 2.53GHz 4GB RAM 640GB | 16GB iPhone 3G
This thread built up my confidence in installing some RAM in my PowerBook...
I just installed Kingston RAM in my Powerbook 5 minutes ago and everything seems to be going well.
I got another 512 module, so now I'm up to 1GB total.
The RAM I bought was 3200 not 2700. It was 400 not 333. Everything seems fine, and when I click the "About this Mac", it says that I have 1GB. I put the new RAM in the open Upper slot.
I wanted to get the 2700 RAM so that I would be using the one everyone recommends, but this module was on sale at Circuit City this week for $59.99 after rebates - the 2700 module was $109.00.
So....Do you guys think I did everything ok?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.