Slow graphics after update

Reaction score
Hi - I'm a new user and just purchased a new Macbook Pro 13" with 2.66Ghz processor, 4GB RAM and a 320GB HDD.

This is the fourth laptop as I returned three of them back to the Apple Store in Eldon Square, Newcasltle due to scratches and a faulty graphics card. Talk about unlucky!

I'm using version 10.6.3 of Snow Leopard. My query is that dashboard and other operating system graphics were very fast without any delays or stuttering but after a recent update (listed below) the operating system graphics seem slow. I only have the standard dashboard widgets installed.

Any help would be appreciated.

The update in question:

'Java for Mac OSX 10.6 Update 2'
'Mac OS X Update 10.6.4'

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Seems like you've been a bit "unlucky". Hopefully number four is the "charm" and it stays....

Try this: Go to Applications, Utilities. Open the Java Preferences.app. Click on the General Tab and make sure that you have all the boxes checked off. You shouldn't have to change any of the other settings. Just leave them using the defaults.

Also go back over your preference settings for Safari (if you're using Safari).

Regards.

OP
D
Reaction score
estogus 86

Thanks for the advice but it hasn't worked. The graphics in dashboard are a lot slower than before the update.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Open up your Activity Monitor.app (Applications -> Utilities -> Activity Monitor.app) and let's see what's going on. Look for any high percentage usage of the CPU or a process that seems like it's hogging things up.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
I think ur cpu is doing soooooo much work or so much load on it,

this may be the reason, please u uninstall that widget and check the graphics, if it is faster, then u have to upgrade ur RAM to 6 r 8GB, because widget alone have to handle the speed memory (i.e RAM memory) upto 2 GB, i think ur PC now have 4GB, right?

so, do this thing and check it.

Thanks,
Charan

Aha, and I spose that uninstalling a default apple supplied widget is going to help.

I have at least 10 widgets plus the original apple widgets and they are using only 52MB RAM.

OP
D
Reaction score
Still slow graphics

Hi,

I've checked with activity monitor and there's nothing out of the ordinary. I've done the update on my imac and the graphics are exactly the same but the macbook is slightly laggy.

Maybe the next update with fix it? Not sure why it would be nice and snappy and then an update would cause it to lag slightly.

Any other suggestions? I can't be the only user who has noticed this...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Your not the only one,
The general consensus with people that have this same problem is that Apple made some kind of error when releasing the 10.6.4 update.
Some people have reinstalled an earlier version of Mac OS where was a bit better, only to have it reappear when updating to 10.6.4.

So I guess you have to wait for another update :(
Or try downgrading to 10.6.4

This is insane! I also am having this same problem. The first time I ran the 10.6.4 update it froze on update. I then re-ran it and that’s when the computer started to run badly. I assumed it was because of the issues I had upon installing the update the first time. Today I made the time to attempt to fix this issue. I re-installed 10.6.3 from the cd. Everything was running GREAT! Well, everything changed immediately after I updated to 10.6.4. This sucks!
Mac OS X 10.6.4: Slow, Garbled Graphics (Steam, Photoshop, etc.); More Fixes | AppleToolbox - Tools and Fixes for Mac OS X, iPad, iPhone and iPad

OP
D
Reaction score
Others with the same issues...

I can live with the slower graphics but is a little annoying. I'm not going to reinstall the OS as hopefully there will be an update soon to fix this. My iMac is unaffected it just seems to be my Macbook Pro. Thank you sreecharans - just glad I'm not the only one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.