• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Trojan infects Android smartphones; iPhone unaffected [MacDailyNews]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Unlike most iPhone users I know, nearly ALL of the Android users I know have "rooted" their phones, thus making them vulnerable. This activety seems to be more prevalent amongts Android users for some reason.

The reason being, I'd think, is that Android is more the geek OS, where iOS4 is the hipster one. Yeah, I'm generalizing, but none of the people I know with iPhones are tech people at all, and none of them know anything about jailbreaking or why you'd want to do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Come on, let's get real for a second. People root their devices because it affords them an opportunity to get apps which are equivalent to those in the market place, but which are free. Such as say.. an tethering app. Also, rooting allows you to totally change your GUI format/style. That alone is reason enough for TONS of people.

What gets my goat about this however, is that doing these mods is expected of Android users. The notion of being able to do such things is what Google had advertised in their first Android OS alpha stages. It was pretty much the whole appeal of Android! And now Google is acting as if people have bought into another iOS type of system ? Ridiculous. They need to take such things into account and start looking more into a beefed up unified system which safe guards everything from their end, rather than have the end USER take the heat for their laziness.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
Come on, let's get real for a second. People root their devices because it affords them an opportunity to get apps which are equivalent to those in the market place, but which are free. Such as say.. an tethering app. Also, rooting allows you to totally change your GUI format/style. That alone is reason enough for TONS of people.

What gets my goat about this however, is that doing these mods is expected of Android users. The notion of being able to do such things is what Google had advertised in their first Android OS alpha stages. It was pretty much the whole appeal of Android! And now Google is acting as if people have bought into another iOS type of system ? Ridiculous. They need to take such things into account and start looking more into a beefed up unified system which safe guards everything from their end, rather than have the end USER take the heat for their laziness.

Doug

Actually, I really don't think that there is any way around the user specifically giving a rogue app permissions to access their sms. I mean it actually says on the permission screen that it can cost you money.

Really, this thing is just an app that you have to choose to install from a sketchy website and then grant it permission to use your sms system, while being warned that you are giving it access to services that you might be charged for. The only thing else to do is to ban that sort of access altogether, or limit it to only apps from the marketplace.

And really, the same argument you make about rooting android can be made for jailbreaking an iPod/iPhone/iPad-- free apps to do stuff that Apple/AT&T doesn't want you to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
It's the old walled garden arguement.
Having the walls up (like Apple do) means you lose freedom (unless you jailbreak). But on the plus side you have increased security because you know apps that make past the walls have been screened to a certain degree.

And on the other hand not having the walls at all (like Android) gives you a lot of freedom to do as you please. But this freedom creates a security risk because some people abuse that freedom and scam others. And also this more freedom can make the product harder to use. Just like Linux vs OS X. If there's only one way to do something, then there's only one way you have to learn and master which is good for the non computer minded people in our society.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
It's the old walled garden arguement.
Having the walls up (like Apple do) means you lose freedom (unless you jailbreak). But on the plus side you have increased security because you know apps that make past the walls have been screened to a certain degree.

LOL... sounds like the political argument for/against the "Entitlement State". How much personal choice, freedom or money do you feel comfortable giving up in exchange for another taking responsibility for something you don't want to do, or feel you can't do?

As far as rooting Android phones goes, I have personally found it to be over-rated and unnecessary. I rooted my Droid X, installed a command line terminal emulator and Titanium Backup... then I looked around for something useful (to me) to install that I couldn't find in the Android Market. I came up with nothing that was worth messing with. After that I unrooted the phone and had a snack. Actually, I was quite surprised to find that about 20 of the 25 application I ran on iOS were available in the officially sanctioned Android Market from the same developers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
This isn't an application from their market, you have to download it outside of the market.

It's not really Google's fault, more of the user's fault. Now if it was in the Android Market, this would be a problem. The user would have to change their settings to allow downloads from 3rd party places.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
There are some out there. My wife did something similar from SMS on her iPhone a couple of months ago. She didn't even know she did it. But, she had signed up for about 6 recurring charge web sites. One of them was $19.95 a week for ring tones. When I called AT&T, found out some of these can start auto charging your account simply by making any response to the SMS instead of deleting it.

My question to AT&T, was don't they vet these companies before they let them start charging people throgh their phone bill?

My wife just found out today that we had gotten burned with the same sort of thing. She got some fake link for Target with coupon/freebie offers, had it half filled out before she caught on, but by then it was too late. They had her phone number, and for the past two months we had gotten a recurring $10 charge PLUS spamming SMS messages. AT&T said we had authorized a $10 monthly service to send us advertisements by SMS. What sort of silliness is that where we'd pay to get spam that we'd pay for AGAIN with SMS fees?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.