Upgrading RAM on 2010 Macbook Pro in Melbourne

Reaction score
Hi guys!

Got my brand spanking new 13" Macbook Pro 2.4ghz, 4GB ram, 250GB HD.
I want to upgrade the ram to 8GB.
Does any one know a reputable place in Melbourne that does it for a cheaper price then what apple would do it for ($580)?
I know it's a task that can be done at home, but I'm worried as I'm a bit of a klutz hehe
Also what is the max I can fit in for my HD? Is it 750GB or 1TB?

Thanks for any input & suggestions :)

OP
J
Reaction score
also, say if I was to do it myself will the warranty be voided? Because I heard that apple believes that it's a task that can be done at home and they don't count it as something they will take away the warranty over?
Where would I get the most affordable 8GB kit from and is there a better brand I should be sticking to?

Thanks again :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Firstly... Why do you want to upgrade your RAM?
Are you utilising any where near all of it? 4GB is quite a descent amount for majority of users, unless you are doing some extremely intense video editing, etc.
As for HD, the largest capacity that will fit (2.5" 9.5mm form factor ) is 750GB. I would recommend the 500GB Hitachi 7K500 7200RPM HD, and go with an external HD for storing large files.
Anyway, both RAM and HDs are worth getting from OWC or NewEgg, even though they are international, they work out cheaper than it would be getting it here.

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask. :)

And no, warranty won't be voided as Apple consider both user upgradable, but if you don't know what you're doing and mess up, well, that could cause problems.
iFixit have great guides to show you the way!

OP
J
Reaction score
Firstly... Why do you want to upgrade your RAM?

haha I knew that question was going to be asked.
Well I'm going to get photoshop and definitely going to use other programs.
But the main thing was I was originally going to get the 13" 2.6GHZ 320GB mbp but I decided against it as the extra $400 could be put to something more worth it, like this ram upgrade and maybe a hd upgrade aswell.

I saw the hynix 8GB on ebay for around $300, which apparently is what apple uses?
is that worth it or am I better off just getting it off newegg?

Thanks for being helpful, I will definitely check out iFixit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Once again, it doesn't sound like you need 8GB, so just hold out.
I think you are jumping the gun.
Before you do anything, when you are using your Mac, check out your activity monitor, to see what you are actually using.
Apple uses the best quality, cost efficient RAM they can get at any given time, same goes for HDs.
Crucial or Kingston is the way to go, and otherwise, OWC branded RAM is always a good option too!

Reaction score
I've a MPB with 4Gb RAM it runs Lightroom and Photoshop no trouble, and with 21Mb+ RAW files. I'd suggest that you try it out first and only then decide if you want to upgrade the RAM. As far as the hard drive is concerned, you may be better off simply getting external hard drives, and connecting them via Firewire. Store your images on these and it's easy to upgrade as they get full.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As suggested by 6string, at least try the MB out with the 4GB memory for starters. Apple memory modules vary depending on what they actually purchase as Apple does not manufacture any memory. OWC is the go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Yea as above +1

And before i got my new 13"MBP i was running CS4, LR and other Apps in my WhiteBook with only 2GB RAM.
It was flawless and i did upgrade to 4GB from OWC~MacSales and it moved a bit quicker but not that significantly ......

4GB in a MBP will be just right for what you want to do :)

Cheers

OP
J
Reaction score
I guess I should hold out then and see how it goes :)
Thanks for all the helpful info.

Also another random thing.
I was on safari last night and the mb just froze?
I searched on google how to fix it without restarting but I ended having to restart it.
Unlike PC there is always alt+ctrl+delete =P (as you can tell I'm a first time user of macs haha)
Is there any tips on that? Also does it happen often?
I wasn't running any programs at the time just safari, as I know you're suppose to actually quit out of programs instead of just "closing" it. Which I have been doing (I've gotten that far haha)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, you should never perform a hard shut down.
Safari has been known to do this for some users.... I don't remember what the solution for this is but I am sure someone will come along with the fix shortly.
As for quitting an application if it freezes without a hard shut down, hold down option/command/escape, and select force quit.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
As for quitting an application if it freezes without a hard shut down, hold down option/command/escape, and select force quit.

Or via Disk Utility you can also Force Quit a application ....

OP
J
Reaction score
I tried the option/command/escape it didn't work
With disk utility am I able to access it with any keys?
as the mouse was completely frozen too =\

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yep CMD-space bar brings up Spotlight
Then type in disk utility and hit return and then navigate through it with your arrow up and down and the cmd-tab keys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.