Firefox - How to stop video Autoplay when opened in new tab

Reaction score
Hi All,

I bought a 2.4Ghz MacBook pro last week. It is my first Mac, and I am slowly getting used to it. I have a couple of questions that I hope you can help me out with (I have searched but found no answers!):

1) In Firefox on my old PC, and Safari on the current Mac, if I open a video in a new tab, the video would not auto-play, until I clicked on the tab. On Firefox on the Mac the video just auto plays. This is pretty annoying when I open 4 or 5 videos in different tabs and they all start playing. I want to click on the tab before it starts playing.

As safari on the Mac does not play the videos automatically, I am hoping there is a way to stop it on Firefox?

So an example is metacafe.com. If you open a video in a new tab, the video will start playing automatically, whether you click on the tab or not.

If you open up the same site in safari, and open the video in a new tab, the video will only start playing once you have clicked on the tab.

2) I know that holding cmd and clicking on a link opens it in a new window, but is it possible to assign for example a 3 finger click to open a link in a new tab?

Cheers
Ash

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
OP
A
Reaction score
Cheers for the reply. I will install the touch app and give it a go.

In terms of the video autoplay, I used a different add-on - stop autoplay. It does the job, but I don't really want all flash to stop. If i click on a link to open in the tab I have open, I want it to autoplay. It is only when I open a video in a new tab, I do not want it to autoplay, until I click on the tab.

This way I can open a few different videos in different tabs and only play when I click on it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.