Internet re-connection after lid closed

Reaction score
My MacBook Pro is connected wirelessly to the internet. If it goes to sleep with the lid open, or if I restart, the internet connection is seamlessly there. But if I close the lid while the machine is on, then re-open it, the internet connection is invariably lost and I have to go through a tedious process to re-connect. I don't know whether this is a hardware issue or an OSX issue. It seems to hover somewhere in between, but I've gone for hardware because of the involvement of the lid. Has anybody else experienced this problem? Has anybody any suggestions for solving it? I'll be very grateful if someone can help, as apart from the inconvenience the weird behaviour is doing my head in.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You didn't say which model MBP you have. However, the newer MBP models have both the airport card and antenna leads located in the display area. The older MBP models have just the antenna leads in the display housing.

It's possible that your wireless signal is marginal and when closing the lid to sleep the machine, contact is lost. You might try moving your wireless router closer or in a higher location to see if that helps.

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
I don't think that's the problem, in that when the machine's asleep or when I restart it, it automatically and quickly re-establishes its internet connection without further prompting. It's only when the lid's been closed that it once again requires all the log-in information to be re-entered. And this happens when the MBP is only a few yards from the wireless source. How strange is that?

OP
R
Reaction score
I've realised that the problem occurs whenever the MBP has gone to sleep, not just when the lid is closed. When waking from sleep it loses all sense of its internet connection and has to be completely reset. Does that suggest sanything?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
See if one of the solutions given in this thread from another forum works for you.

Regards.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thank you very much. That thread gave me the answer, and the problem is now solved.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Great. Glad to hear you resolved it. Have fun and visit often.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.