Best in-car Solution?

Reaction score
Ok, So im sure alot of you have tried the iTrip.... so have I. Personally I hate it (I have a brand new one for sale if anyone interested??)

Anyway.... I want perfect crystal clear sound in my car. As I will be splashing out on new amps and subs.

I have been considering two options :

The APLINE SOLUTION..
I hear this is the best but Im not sure which one to go for. Anyone got it?

The KENWOOD SOLUTION...

I haven't heard of anyone using this but I'd loved to hear some feedback on it!!!

Help me out please!

Im watching a few ALPINES on ebay at the moment.

Also I've sold my 20GB ... and Im trying to decide on the 6GB Mini or the new ipod......

Just so much to choose from!

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm just curious, which Alpine models are you considering? I was thinking of upgrading my system as well...

One more thing, I totally agree with you regarding iTrip...waste of money :biohazard

VJ

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33GHz G4 14", 60GB, 768MB RAM, Airport, Bluetooth, Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger
i didn't even know about that alpine solution. thanks! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
give me specs on your system and I will let you know what to put in your car.... brand and model numbers are important.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4, 17 inch intel imac
Another option, although expensive, the Honda Element is MP3 ready and the sound is amazing with my mini.

bone

Z

zap2

i have that thing that u plug into ur iPod and the other end goes in the cassets player, it was 20$ and it sounds great

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
zap2 said:
i have that thing that u plug into ur iPod and the other end goes in the cassets player, it was 20$ and it sounds great

I have the same thing... don't know that I would say it sounds "great".... but it surely gets the job done... and much better than the tuner thing.

OP
I
Reaction score
Model numbers.... Im not really sure.I wasjustgoing to try to get a pretty good alpine stereo on ebay (one that is compatible with the iPod adaptor by Alpine) Then buy the iPod adaptor on ebay.

Im not sure which iPod to get. I got rid of my iPod when I got my car because im a student and its my first car and now I never walk!!!! But I will be back to business college in september so I think I should get one again. I had the 4G 20GB,,,,,, but Im not sure what to get now!

J

JSchultz

I've got the tape adaptor, and it is terrible. Maybe not as terrible as the iTrip or its ilk, but still enough to make me very angry. It hums ALL the time (background noise) and occasionally you get those pops and clicks. Like I'm listening to a vintage record or something.

I too am looking for a good quality solution though. Look's like it won't be cheap!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" PowerBook 1.5ghz
I'ts times like these that I'm glad that while I do love music, I am not so much of an audiophile that I'm all that picky about this kind of stuff...saves me a lot of money...what's funny is that I teach audio and video production but once I'm out of the studio I can live with a pretty wide range of quality.....though frankly...the transmitter versions do cross even my lines of quality...I'll be glad when more cars have direct connections for cards or players.

Frankly...as to the question between a 6gig Mini and a new iPod...no question....the size savings doesn't begin to make up for the capacity drop and frankly the 6gig are way too close in price to the full sized ones for me to consider it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, 8-Core 2.8Ghz, 10GB RAM, 2x1TB HDDs, iPod U2 Edition
JSchultz said:
I've got the tape adaptor, and it is terrible. Maybe not as terrible as the iTrip or its ilk, but still enough to make me very angry. It hums ALL the time (background noise) and occasionally you get those pops and clicks. Like I'm listening to a vintage record or something.

I too am looking for a good quality solution though. Look's like it won't be cheap!

Sounds like you have either an old deck... or the tape adapter is damaged. The quality certainly isn't as good as a CD deck... But it shouldn't be crackling and popping.

Reaction score
We installed the Alpine/iPod in my son's Jeep. It sounds really good considering the acoustics of a Jeep. It was 6 months ago so I am not sure what the model number was at the time. It appears to be equal to the new CDA-9855 or 9853. He operates a 40 GB iPod right through the head unit using the KCA-420i interface module. Never really has to touch the iPod other than to go portable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
iRock said:
Model numbers.... Im not really sure.I wasjustgoing to try to get a pretty good alpine stereo on ebay (one that is compatible with the iPod adaptor by Alpine) Then buy the iPod adaptor on ebay.

Im not sure which iPod to get. I got rid of my iPod when I got my car because im a student and its my first car and now I never walk!!!! But I will be back to business college in september so I think I should get one again. I had the 4G 20GB,,,,,, but Im not sure what to get now!

Well you can always use this... mp3yourcar.com.... make sure your stereo is supported, buy the version for you sterio and then plug you ipod in have fun.

J

JSchultz

sarahsboy18 said:
Sounds like you have either an old deck... or the tape adapter is damaged. The quality certainly isn't as good as a CD deck... But it shouldn't be crackling and popping.

Neither really, as it's a brand spanking new OEM car deck (05 VW Golf w/ Monsoon)...The weird thing is that it only starts hissing and humming when I turn the volume up. I try to keep the iPod volume and stereo volume at a decent match. If you turn the iPod up too much, you get nasty distortion and massive clipping even at low stereo volumes. If you keep the stereo volume up, and the iPod volume down, you have to turn it up, and you get humming/hissing.

I think I may go with some sort of dock/direct connect route. Im sick of **-hum quality solutions.

J

JSchultz

PowerBookG4 said:
Well you can always use this... mp3yourcar.com.... make sure your stereo is supported, buy the version for you sterio and then plug you ipod in have fun.

I just checked this out...Looks pretty good!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.