Video card options for Power Mac G5

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm trying to build a media box out of an old Power Mac G5 that I received from work. It has two duo core 2.5GHz CPUs and 5.5GB RAM. The video card on it has a DVI and ADC outputs on it. I believe its a 9800 XT with 256MB.

I wanted to put in a video card with an HDMI port but it doesn't fit in any of the slots, so I'm wondering if someone can help me out and tell me what kind of video card I can get that has an HDMI port or at least a 7-pin S-Video port on it. I will eventually be putting a video capture card so even if someone gave me an idea of what types of video capturing cards I can install it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Realize I am post PPC age in the Mac realm - e.g. Intel age only.

As far as I am aware, that machine shipped with a nVidia 6600 and the ATI 9800 is the upgrade. I don't believe there exists any video card with HDMI out for any Mac Pro, much less a G5. Am thinking that 9800 was the top of the line card for the G5.

There really is no reason you need a video card with HDMI out though. There is only one Mac on the market today that has HDMI. Just grab yourself a DVI to HDMI cable. You definitely do not want to use S-Video for connecting any computer to any of today's HDTVs.

I used a ATI All-in-Wonder 9800 Pro for several years. It was a very good card for it's time and shouldn't be any issue with playing movies, DVDs, etc. The AIW of course had a built in TV tuner. I'd suggest maybe looking to El Gato to see if any of their current line still supports PPC or not.

Personally, I wouldn't consider a G5 for a HTPC. There were a great many that were/are using Macs from that period for this purpose. But then, I don't have one sitting around either.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.