macbookpro/imac issues

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right forum, oh well.

1) Anyways, I have an imac and a macbookpro. About 30 minutes ago my macbookpro was working fine and I was able to browse around on the internet.

2) I had shut it down then restarted it and tried to use the internet but i am unable to. I have tried different browsers and do not know what the problem is.

3) I'm on my imac right now which is connected to the same router and it works perfectly fine, I didn't install anything new when I shut it down.

ALSO:

When i open the network preferences on my mbp and i go to the TCP/IP part:

The IPv4 address is not the same as the one on my imac which im using right now and there is no ip address showing up for the router, but there is on the network prefrences for the imac, could this be the problem?

Is there anyone that could possibly provide some insight on this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Welcome to M-F!

When you try to use the internet are you getting any error messages?

I would first try rebooting the MBP and router again, check in the System Preferences that I'm connected and try using "Automatic" as location.

OP
U
Reaction score
Yes when I try to use safari it says you are not connected to the internet.

Safari can't open the page "http://www.google.com/" because your computer isn't connected to the Internet. I've reset the router and changed my location to automatic and that did not do anything.

OP
U
Reaction score
ALSO:

When i open the network preferences on my mbp and i go to the TCP/IP part:

The IPv4 address is not the same as the one on my imac which im using right now and there is no ip address showing up for the router, but there is on the network prefrences for the imac, could this be the problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Two computers on the same network cannot have the same IPv4 address so that can't be it.
Since this is a wireless connection, can you see it advertised in the Airport menu?

Try clicking the "Renew the DHCP Lease" button, it queries the router and he should hand out and IP and the other required information. Click "OK", and then "Apply"

OP
U
Reaction score
I just tried that and that did not solve it either.

When I view the network prefrences on the imac under the dns tab it lists 3 dns servers and 1 search domain.

On the mbp is does not list anything under the dns tab.

OP
U
Reaction score
Linksys wireless N router and mac 10.5.8 os, don't want to upgrade to 10.6.4, waiting for 10.6.5 to come out because 10.6.4 has a lot of issues with things from what i've seen and heard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Set Configure IPv4 to Manually and put in the same numbers that your iMac has, except for the IP address.
Use the same IP but change the last number to something different, example 199.188.800.100 -> 199.188.800.101

I'm running 10.6.4 here and haven't noticed any problems or bugs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.