2/3 Screen turn white

Reaction score
Hey I've got a macbook pro and I accidentally dropped it while in a backpack about 3 feet onto the ground a year and 3 months ago. Lines would go wiggy through 2/3rds of the screen and if I lightly tapped the side they would go away... Through time the lines got worse and turned into the pixels completely going white. If I put a clothespin on the side, that would keep the screen tight with the case and it would be fine sometimes. Now I have to use one of those black heavy duty paperclip things to keep the screen working.

That clip is beginning to lose out and I think the screen is getting worse. What can I do to fix this? Replace the screen? Is it expensive?

Cliffs: If I add pressure to the side it worked, but it's taking more and more pressure. What do I do?

Edit: It looks exactly like this if I don't put the clip on the side.

b712jp.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You may be faced with having to replace more than just the display. It's difficult to predict what could be causing the intermittent screen problems. Most of the cables carrying video and power to the backlight, etc, are located in the top case display area and go down through and around the hinge. (depends on which model MBP you have).

Take a look at the take apart instructions for your model year MBP at this web site: iFixit: The free repair manual

That may give you some idea of what's involved in a possible repair plus the cost of parts.

Regards.

OP
K
Reaction score
I have an A1226 Macbook Pro by the way. Thanks for linking me to that site. I asked a question but still don't really know what I'm looking for even if I open it up.

The products that I found on there, what would I be looking for?

1. Display assembly (Is that the entire monitor section?)
2. LCD Panel
3. Front Display Bezel
4. Rear Display Bezel
5. Display Data Cable

If I got the bezel's would that keep everything tight like the clothes pin? Could those being loose cause the problem?

If the LCD is the problem, would buying the LCD panel suffice? Or would I need the entire display?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yeah, I know what you mean, but there is really no way to tell if the display is at fault or not. I don't think so, but until you start replacing the panel and bezel and maybe the video cable, you won't know.

If you have the money to spend and the time & skills to do the work yourself, then go for it, but I would purchase just those parts that you think are necessary to tighten up around the display - and maybe a new video cable.

What concerns me is the intermittent nature of the problem. If it turns out to be related to a defect (crack or loose solder) which may have occurred when you dropped the machine; that would be difficult to locate. Your choice.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.