• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Convert VHS to DVD - Formac Studio Box

Reaction score
Hi

I have a Formac Studio Box that I want to use to convert some old VHS tapes to DVD. I know that I can import into iMovie but it seems a bit of a hassle exporting out to iDVD etc. Is there any other software that anyone knows about that will capture and export for recording and/or burning direct.

Thanks in advance.

C

chas_m

If you don't need the fancy menus of iDVD, use Roxio's Toast instead. Or heck, just Burn (free) or VisualHub (free).

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi Chas, thanks for the suggestions. What I was looking for was software that would take the digital information, encode it and burn to disk, rather than laboriously importing in to iMovie, exporting and burning. Btw Visualhub is not available at the moment.

C

chas_m

VH has been discontinued but continues to be available if you look hard enough. There's also some pretenders to that throne like VideoMonkey, Evom, etc.

A lot of people like Toast for this, because you just toss the video file in there and at some point later you have a DVD (which can even have a basic menu if you like, or not) that's playable on a TV.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.