charger problems

Reaction score
I don't move my charger around too much at all it usually stays behind my bed where I have my macbook most of the time. Anyway, for some odd reason it's started mal functioning, when I connect it to my macbook it's not lighting up all the time, and it's getting worse and worse. At first it would be good after you wiggled it a little bit, now it's getting harder and harder for it to charge. I'm not sure what's wrong with it I havent yanked on it or done anything else crazy.

Oh I've also noticed that the charger port (I have an L shaped one) is getting extremely hot now, it didn't do this before.

What should I do? Is there anyway to kinda fix it (i've had my macbook for about 6 months) . Should I try and use my warranty to get a new one, although i dont have apple care or anything.

Thanks for any help .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
While you have your warranty, call Apple and make an appointment with the Genius bar..... That's what your warranty's for.
Ps. You may want to consider getting AppleCare before your warranty expires.

OP
J
Reaction score
well what's going to happen there? are they likely to replace the charger or ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
well what's going to happen there? are they likely to replace the charger or ?

You have the option of going into an Apple store, and having them connect it to a charger to see if that is the fault, or if you have a friend with the same charger, same deal, which could save you a bit of time.

It may be the charger.
May be the charger and battery too.
Maybe it's the DC input board.
Maybe the whole Mac will need to be replaced (but I doubt it).
It can only be speculation when I am not the technician testing out your unit. ;P

OP
J
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it's the charger because after it started malfunctioning, the charger port started to get hot. and now it only works after some tedious playing with the charger wire .

Either way I don't have $100-ish to fund a new charger or anything else right now =/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Whatever the defect is, as long as it isn't from physical damage such as being chewed by your dog, etc, if you are under warranty, you are covered.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Your serial number is on the Apple data base.

OP
J
Reaction score
But how do they know what my serial is ... ? And the warranty that comes with macbooks is a year long right ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Warranty is 12months from the date of purchase, unless you purchased the AppleCare Protection Plan, in which case, it is 36 months from the date of purchase.
Any Mac purchased, has it's serial number logged into the Apple Data Base.
They will know what your serial number is when you tell them while making the appointment, and when you take it in they will also see it.
If you go to about >about this Mac, and click twice under where it says Mac OS X on the version, your serial number will show up.
It is also in >about this Mac>more info, in the hardware overview screen in system profiler.

OP
J
Reaction score
alright i have a genius bar appointment tonight . I'll let you guys know the results . Thanks for the help .

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.