reinstalling OS X with no CD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" i7 500Gb, 2.66GHz. iPhone 5 32Gb, 16Gb iPod Nano, 8Gb iPod Nano
I recently deleted a whole lot of superfluous music files from my MacBook Pro and thought I would run the free space eraser to maximise the freed-up space. I used to do this on my PC and it gave me more free space after I deleted files. Anyway after doing it, I discovered that my MacBook Pro is a bit more slow. It was lightning quick to startup and shut down however now it thinks for around 20 seconds whilst it starts up and shuts down. I don't like this.

I have run the disk scanning thing with no problems. I have run the permissions check and there were a couple of anomalies so I fixed them (a couple couldn't be fixed) yet the problem still remains.

I am thinking of just reinstalling OS X as it will also allow me to change my short name with no hassle, however there seems to be no software CD or DVD in the box. I just purchased the MacBook Pro new from an Apple Store around a month ago but for some reason there is no installation disc. Is this strange?

So, what can I do about it? Time Machine doesn't seem to be switched on (I recently switched from PC and Time Machine seems to be switched off by default and I didn't change it as I wasn't sure as to what it did) so restoration isn't an option.

Would it be worth just buying a new Snow Leopard CD? I have had my eye on Snow Leopard but am not sure what the benefits (if any) are. I currently have OS X 10.6.4

Any help would be appreciated!

- Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
If you bought the computer only a month ago you should already be running Snow Leopard. You can check this yourself,  menu> "About This Mac". Version 10.6. is Snow Leopard.
Are you sure that you didn't get the disk? It is a slight grey color and has OS X Installation Disk printed on it.
If you are absolutely certain that you didn't get the Disk, contact apple and tell them, they might send you a new disk.
If not, I would recommend that you buy them as they could come in useful if you ever need to reinstall the system. Also, if you ever want to sell it, a lot of people won't buy it if there are no Install disks included.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for the reply, McYukon. I called Apple Care and they are sending me the CD's. So I guess I will reinstall the system and change my short name at the same time.

And I will never erase the free space again.

- Chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Would it be worth just buying a new Snow Leopard CD? I have had my eye on Snow Leopard but am not sure what the benefits (if any) are. I currently have OS X 10.6.4

Snow Leopard is 10.6.4 so its installed on your machine now ...

And if you for some reason still dont receive the install DVD's here in Australia the Snow Leopard are only $39 ....... :) Bargain !!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
however there seems to be no software CD or DVD in the box

Are you sure? ...when you lift the laptop out of the box, it's in a black cardboard sleeve underneath where the laptop was, near the front of the box, which is hard to see if you're not looking for it.
Look again :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I run the Wipe Free Space tool in TechTool Pro every fifth Saturday of a month, whether it needs it or not. Never a problem.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am absolutely certain that the CD's were not included, 6string :)

I am not sure why the laptop is running more slowly than it used to (and the only thing I did was wipe the free space... I didn't install any programs etc between the time it was quick and then painfully slow.)

I will reinstall the system when the CD's arrive and see if that works.

- Chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.