Random black flashing screen on iMac

Reaction score
This just started happening to me tonight. It blacks out from the bottom up the screen and the top half flickers between the desktop and black, with the very top still at the desktop. It freezes my computer, not even the power button does anything when this occurs. The only way to stop it is to pull the plug and start it up again. It is perfectly fine until these random occurances, functions fine. Advice please? I'd rather not take it to the apple store because it is 45 minutes away and it functions up until that point.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My advice: If it's under warranty, make an appointment with your local Apple store and take it on in. Driving 45 minutes is nothing.... most folks drive longer than that to get to work every day.

The problem you're experiencing could be hardware related which is why it's best to get it diagnosed by the geniuses at Apple.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
The only way to stop it is to pull the plug and start it up again.

That's not good for it. Stop doing that. Get it looked at tomorrow, or today, depending on when you read this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.