Should I run Parallels?

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums here and also a new mac user. I've always used PCs in the past and just made the switch. However, I have e-learning software I use for work that only runs on Windows. I'd love to be able to use this software on my mac as well. I've been doing a little research into Parallels and a few other programs like it that would allow me to run windows on my mac. I'm worried, though, that it may bog down the speed of the mac or take up too much space. I have an Intel core 2 duo processo, 4GB of memory and a 500GB hard drive with pretty much all of that space available. Can I run parallels given these specs? Also, are there any other ramifications I should know when using Parallels or going back and forth between the two operating systems? Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
You shouldn't have any problems running Parallels. Switch it to crystal mode and you need never even notice that Windows is running - just launch Windows applications as if they were Mac apps.

And if you do find that Windows is using resources you need for Mac applications (unlikely in my experience) then just suspend Windows when not using it.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I totally agree with the excellent advice given by "welshframer". It says it all. My minor contribution to your thoughts is that if the programmes you need on Windows can be met by Microsoft Office, then you could consider buying Office for Mac - the 2011 version goes on sale in October/November. The 2007 version has been around for ages and could be updated to 2011 if you needed something right now. Probably cheaper than Parallels, but then Parallels is the full Windows facility.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2
Give VMWare Fusion a thought instead of Parallels.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.