Can hard drive set up for Time Machine be used otherwise?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X v. 10.6.5
I have an external hard drive set up for use by Time Machine. There's lots of space on it. Can it be used to store other items than backups? How?

T

todd51

I have an external hard drive set up for use by Time Machine. There's lots of space on it. Can it be used to store other items than backups? How?

Usually Time Machine dedicates the entire drive for backups, however you could always re-format the drive and partition it using Disk Utility. This allows you to split the hard drive into two different partitions (think of it as "sections"). You can choose how big you want each partition to be. Then Time Machine will dedicate itself to one partition, and you can use the other partition for anything else.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
You don't have to partition the drive to store other files in addition to the Time Machine backup. Time Machine will simply continue using available space until it starts to dwindle then start deleting the oldest backup. Having said that it's probably best to partition the drive as one means of controlling the size of the Time machine backup.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My opinion for what it's worth....

Although you can partition the drive as Slydude pointed out, or just leave it as one partition, I personally do not recommend using an external drive in that manner. I know it's tempting with today's very large hard drives being so inexpensive, but when trouble occurs with an external, it just makes the problem worse if the drive has both your TM backups and other data.

A quick look at some posts today about this very subject could help you decide.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.