My iTunes is locked...now what?

D

dangergirl

Ok, so I put in a new cd today (Louis XIV's Best Little Secrets Are Kept in case you're curious) and it didn't appear on my desktop, which I felt was odd. Then iTunes stops working - and doesn't pop up with the track listing. At this point I figure something is wonky and I try to eject the cd from my Mini using the eject button in iTunes. Doesn't work. So I force quit the application, thinking that maybe it's having a hiccup and I can restart iTunes, retrieve my cd and go on with my life, but a restart doesn't help.

In fact, now iTunes is locked and I can't use it. ***? I've clearly never used an copy controlled cd's on my computer (it's still so new, I haven't even installed the iLife '05 that came with it yet!) so I'm sorry if this is a repeat of an issue you all dealt with months ago, but I can't find a history for this on the forum.

What can I do to
A) get the cd out
B) get iTunes working again
C) avoid this in the future

Thanks, I really need the help, I'm at my wit's end with this supposedly "relaxing" day off I'm having. GRR.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
hmmm don't know about the itunes problem since I have not heard of it, but to get your cd out, hold down the mouse button when booting up.

Reaction score
Repair permissions
Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility, then select your HD on the left, then click 'Repair Disk Permissions'

then restart and try iTunes again.

OP
D

dangergirl

mynameis said:
Repair permissions
Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility, then select your HD on the left, then click 'Repair Disk Permissions'

I've tried this, but the Utility freezes - or at least I get the happy spinning rainbow beachball. I've actually had to Force Quit that one as well. Any thoughts?

OP
D

dangergirl

PowerBookG4 said:
hmmm don't know about the itunes problem since I have not heard of it, but to get your cd out, hold down the mouse button when booting up.

I'm sorry, what's the mouse button? Do you mean the button on my mouse? I'm not using the Mac one-button mouse, but a USB one that is more egonomically suited to my smaller hands. Is it the equivalent of the left or right button?

OP
D

dangergirl

Update: a hard restart of the mini popped the disc out. Is there a way to see if this cd affected or added anything to my computer while it had it's sinister grip on my iTunes?

OP
D

dangergirl

mynameis said:
Repair permissions

Brilliant! Now that the disc has popped out, this works! Thanks so much for your help!
Cheers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dangergirl said:
I'm sorry, what's the mouse button? Do you mean the button on my mouse? I'm not using the Mac one-button mouse, but a USB one that is more egonomically suited to my smaller hands. Is it the equivalent of the left or right button?

The left one.... but good to know that you got the cd out..

Reaction score
dangergirl said:
Brilliant! Now that the disc has popped out, this works! Thanks so much for your help!
Cheers.

So the Permissions repair finally worked?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah i think that is what she meant. I think the disc was in bad shape or was corrupted or something, very unlikely to buy a corrupted disc but I bet it could happen.

OP
D

dangergirl

mynameis said:
So the Permissions repair finally worked?

Yeah, the repair permissions worked...I don't have the guts to put the disc back in though. Is there a way to stop iTunes from allowing the copy-controlled software to load so that I can just play the songs like normal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dangergirl said:
Yeah, the repair permissions worked...I don't have the guts to put the disc back in though. Is there a way to stop iTunes from allowing the copy-controlled software to load so that I can just play the songs like normal?

I don't think that is possible, maybe you can try versiontracker to see if there is any third party applications that allow this. I am not sure but I bet somebody else on these forums will be more sure of themselves.

Reaction score
What CD has copy-control software? I would just try it again, I think it was just a system fluke and nothing to do with the CD, at least that is what I would do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mynameis said:
What CD has copy-control software? I would just try it again, I think it was just a system fluke and nothing to do with the CD, at least that is what I would do.

second that... now that I think about it, I don't think they actually started with the copy controll on cds yet, and when they do you will still be able to listen to them in iTunes just not copy them.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.